Relapse from topical clindamycin?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jlady
New User

Relapse from topical clindamycin?

Postby Jlady » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:32 pm

Been a long time for me since I have been here. In 2015/2016 I had sever reoccurring C diff while pregnant with my first daughter. That eventually ended after a successful FMT after the birth of my daughter. I had gone all this time without really needing to use any antibiotics other than 1x a few months back for a sinus infection (augmentin) and was ok with that. I am now currently 12 weeks pregnant. I was taking topical clindamycin for acne for about 2-3 weeks, 2x a day. My derm had told me topical would not be absorbed in gut like the pill and so no risk for C diff...clindamycin was my original offending drug in 2015 so I was paranoid. I took it anyways, assuming that it probably is very minimal in systemic absorption. Well I had been having severe constipation this entire pregnancy, then 1 week ago suddenly a quick and drastic change to diarrhea. Husband came into bathroom one time and said the haunting words of "smells like barn poos." In all honesty, I cannot tell if it is or not, there is no orange type color. It was happening maybe 3 to 4 x per day, not as bad as c diff i had before. But the PTSD has me thinking its back...especially given I am pregnant and for whatever reason that really set me up to have poor defenses against C diff last time. I have not lost appetite however, last time I definitely did. Last time I was not allowed to do the FTM until after I delivered my baby..if it is back, I do not think I can wait that long again..the monthly cost of vanco (they had me on it the entire 9 monhts!) was insane. I would maybe be willing to try the at home transplant, as my husband was previous donor and my ID doc at the time told me she does have many patients do at home via enema. I may be racing ahead here. I am wondering if people know how common it would be to get c diff from topical, given I was taking for short time (once I had diarrhea 1x i stopped it). I am worried if I send a sample in it will be pos, part of me thinks I will always be positive for it if they test for it but that it does not mean necessarily active infection?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse from topical clindamycin?

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:57 pm

Yes, you can get it from topical clindamycin. I got D from using it on my scalp for some lesions and my dermatologist told me to stop right away. This was before c difficile. The D stopped a day or two after I stopped the treatment. However, when I was given a vaginal cream with clindamycin (I think it was called Cleocin), I got c difficile and tested positive. So, if you have not stopped already, I would do so. I used erythromycin topically for acne with no issues.

C3PO
Brand New Poster

Postby C3PO » Sun May 14, 2023 3:15 pm

I am not sure how to create my own new post so I am sort of piggy backing on here. If someone can tell me that would be great. I too had c diff in 2015. I've taken Macrobid once and did ok. I was just diagnosed with Blepheritis on my eyelids and was prescribed topical Maxitrol (which is a mix of Dexamethasone, Neosporin, and Polymyxin B). Now the eye doctor wants me on topical occular Erythromyicin. I took it last night taking Florastor 2 hrs prior. Should I be concerned?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 15, 2023 1:07 am

I have blepharitis too and I have used both of those ointments with no problem. I have to use them from time to time when the condition flares up. I don't think it gets absorbed except maybe the steroid (dexamethasone). I would not be concerned, but you can always check with a pharmacist. They are pretty good at giving that kind of information.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 15, 2023 11:48 am

Before trying anything ‘hardcore’, I suggest trying Blephaclean wipes (or similar) - got rid of my blepharitis and v soothing! Bit pricey but worth it, can get them from the dreaded Amazon.

Blepharitis isn’t an infection so a bit baffled as to why they’re pushing antibiotics on you, esp. given your history.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”