Will I ever be able to travel again?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jackie24
Regular User

Will I ever be able to travel again?

Postby jackie24 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Please let me hear some of your travel stories no matter how good or how bad they are! I am having another grandbaby in May and they live all the way in North Dakota and I am here in Virginia. I am currently on a Vanco taper but I know I will probably relapse when getting off of it and I would like to know what the best way to travel is by car, camper, or plane?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Will I ever be able to travel again?

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:39 am

I always took Pepto Bismol with me when I traveled just in case. In the early days, I also had a prescription for vanco that my doctor had filled that I kept in my cupboard and took along when I traveled. I don't think I ever wound up needed it. I don't know if your doctor would do that or how much your co-pay is for the medication. My co-pay was very low in those days, so I figured it was worth the investment.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 am

I was left with chronic D after CDiff for various reasons, including a mild case of recurring CDiff, and love to travel. I have chosen not to let this rule my life, so I accommodate. My recommendation is to choose whichever method gives you best access to a bathroom. I hate to admit this, but I also sometimes wear an adult diaper just in case. I usually carry a small duffel of "case" clothes and clean-up supplies; you know, again just in case. I sometimes have the tendency to dump, so I avoid my trigger foods and eat small but more frequent meals. I too take Pepto along.

I have not had a chance to take a big trip due to Covid; we've cancelled two cruises but still have a 16 day one booked for Nov 2022. I still take short 4-7 day trips and haven't had to curb my activities much. All the prep is well worth the effort.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:35 pm

I traveled by plane into Kansas City and then drove to Iowa shortly after finishing my script. Pepto and probiotics in hand. Didn’t really have a choice since that’s what my job description involves.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Buy a bucket.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Beth22

I am hoping that my new ID doctor will give me a prescription just in case something happens. North Dakota has poor healthcare in the Minot military base area so I would be on my own. We are thinking about renting a driving camper so I have the bathroom the whole way but its very expensive so we shall see.

Thanks everyone for the advice especially Roya “Get a Bucket”

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”