The day is here.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Re: The day is here.

Postby Lissaucd » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:50 am

Hi Nancy! Sent you a PM back! Hopefully I did it right! Lol

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:13 am

Lissaucd - I think you are seeing Dr. S. He did my FMT many years ago and he is great. He is definitely an expert in c difficile. I have referred several people to him and I also flew up for a consult a few years ago for another matter. I wish he lived in southern CA where I am.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:18 am

Hey Lisa.
I know what your going through and yes I’m in nursing homes all the time. My company does group benefits (medical, dental, vision 401k) for lots of large company’s, but mainly hospitals and long term care settings.
We do covid tests daily to be safe every morning which is how I got covid in sept. The home I was in in Florida had 20% of their staff out on delta breakthroughs so thanks for that florida. I know exactly when I picked it up almost 3 yrs ago. I didn’t know, nor had ever heard the word cdiff. I was on the typical death dose of augmentin 875 twice a day, went into a nursing home and I’ll never forget the smell of that place, not long after I had it myself. I too lost weight. I’m usually 175-180 like clock work and dropped to 160 in the blink of an eye and to this day have to eat like a billy goat to maintain it. I guess if there’s a silver lining to cdiff it’s that yo yo dieting, at least for me isn’t an issue. It sounds like for the most part, minus the anxiety we all go through that your heading in the right direction. I’ve stated many times that anything less than what you initially went through is recovery. Probiotics are hit and miss and your doc is probably wise to tell you to stop. If nothing else it’ll tell you if they were causing some of the issues because they certainly can. I found what works and stick with it although I’m probably better served to light the money on fire and enjoy the heat for a few seconds. I can say for sure that this time as opposed to last that taking florastor and eating yogurt, has no side effects as opposed to 3 yrs ago when it made my gut sound like the Hull of a sinking ship. Maybe my guts healthy now as opposed to then. I’m also not washing down the antibiotics with a can of beer like I did back then. I guess I’ve grown up and cdiff humbled me into not thinking I’m Superman who’s power is an iron gut. I just took the 5th days last pill and I’m done, I’m not taking the other 2 days. No thick mucus and feel like a healthy 48 yr old again. The only thing that heals this disease is time and patience. As far as new food goes, I get that your scared but you don’t know until you try. My GI was a pioneer on lots of things cdiff and he, although probably never had cdiff was a huge proponent of getting back to a normal diet. I know many here will advise against it but if it doesn’t send you sprinting to the can then eat it. The sooner you get back to normal then the sooner your back to normal. I’m not saying do what I did, which led to many sweaty mornings with the card of my GI in, hand flipping a coin on whether to call. Foods not gonna cause a relapse so why eat boiled chicken and raw dandelions if you don’t have to. Your flora was cultivated from birth by eating lots of different things and that’ll happen again the sooner you can do it.
Last edited by D1dad on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:34 am

Also don’t sweat not having a good Gi. I think it’s overrated to be honest. This disease is so limited on treatments that the idea of finding the worlds greatest GI is a pipe dream. Now if I needed an FMT I surely want the doc with a steady hand who’s not doing it for the first time. Find one who doesn’t wanna prescribe AB for a wet fart and has some ideas on how to keep you calm. Mine was kind of an arrogant jerk who had the bedside manner of the the employee who lubes up the scope for prostate exams. I’d never wish cdiff on anyone but like I told my PCP whenever I have my annual physical who half ass jokes about my “diahrrea”. If you were setting on the crapper 30 times a day in a cold sweat and your eyes crossed wiping with puffs plus you wouldn’t think it was just diahrrea. I just saw on my online chart that the old prostate exam is due. I’m praying that a meteor hits me on the way to the car leaving for work some morning.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:49 am

Yes! It’s Doctor S! I’m so happy you guys had such wonderful things to say about him! He has already been so much help already! I feel like there is finally a light!!

1dad you are hilarious! I’m so glad you are feeling better!!!! You are in hospitals Ans stuff all the time! That’s awesome you go back to your normal life. I appreciate the advice- I know I need to try new foods. The idea of having to sit on the can if it doesn’t agree with me scares me. I have these Kate farm drinks I paid a small fortune for that I want to try. But if I get an upset stomach the first thing that comes to my mind….”is it back?!?!” May sounds funny, but I use to enjoy my 5 mins of alone time! (Stay at home mama here) I was NOT on antibiotics when I got c diff. So my mind still searches for an answer on how I got it or if I can easily get it again. I’ve become a germ phobia more than I was before. Washing my hands until they bleed and I’m still bleaching my bathroom. Thr idea of giving it to my elderly parents, husband or my 3 year old scares me!!! I would never forgive myself!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:47 pm

Sometimes you don’t have a choice but to go back to normal life. I honestly never gave it a second thought on my work surroundings. As far as giving your family cdiff, I don’t think it’s quite that simple. I had full blown cdiff at the same time my 19 yr old son had just finished taken a strong Ab for a dental procedure. I did things to our bathroom I’m not proud of and probably was cause for a remodel or at the very least calling in a biohazard crew. All this was before I even heard the word cdiff, and none of my family caught it and trust me when I say that no one cleaned using anything more than standard household cleaners. Mostly just me cleaning out of pure shame lol. It’s just really not that easy to catch so I wouldn’t make yourself sick over it. I ate someone’s crap, inadvertently at some point at work and was an antibiotic junky. Sinus pressure, give me a zpak, sore throat, yep it’s probably strep give me a shot. Finally the chickens came home to roost and I got exactly what I deserved. I’m proud of the fact that in 3 years, up until this week I only had a few days of bactrim and that was “take this or lose part of your foot”. The irony of this time, is I started taking elderberry and a multivitamin that had fruits and veggies and wouldn’t you know I got sick as a dog. I’m sure that’s not why but I’m looking for something to blame lol. I read some of your posts and feel like some anxiety meds may help as much as anything, stress isn’t good for anyone’s immune system. I’m no doc but there’s no shame in getting something to help you relax, trust me I get it. if I was a younger version of myself I would have smoked enough weed that I’d have had to wear a diaper so I didn’t have to get up. The older version got some Xanax and it helped immensely. There’s folks here who get cdiff and deal with it more than the average person changes out their toothbrush so things can certainly be worse. They’re the ones I admire, those who don’t deserve this. I was an idiot who thought antibacterials were the gateway to good health who needs to give speeches to our younger folks on the dangers of overuse of antibiotics lol.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks 1dad. Reading your post made me cry and laugh at the same time! Lol I know I need anxiety meds. But geez, putting some more crap into my gut doesn’t sound right. I’m going to give myself some time to get off everything….and then come back to anxiety meds. You are right, my husband says the same thing- you have no choice but to get back to normal. I’m happy I come to this site and talk to you all. My husband is not a worrier so totally doesn’t get it at all. He just gets frustrated and mad. That amazing you have been doing so well- 3 years! Also, my husband did the wing challenge as well at Buffalo wild wing here in California… said it was like pooping fire for two days straight but he got the shirt! Lol thank you everyone for the kind words. 1dad thanks again for the good laughs… you should do some stand up comedy on this topic. Lol

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:15 am

After c diff, I was deficient in some vitamins and one of them was D. When I started to supplement, my Gi symptoms also got better. You might ask your doctors to test you for vitamin and mineral deficiencies if you are not eating normally.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:46 am

I was at my company Xmas party last night and mentioned to a co worker that I was only gonna have a couple of drinks (wink wink) as I had just finished a course of doxycycline and didn’t wanna have a bad next day. To late, today sucks and I somehow had more than a couple drinks, still can’t figure that one out. The guy I was chatting up and his wife are out of our Alabama office and somehow the conversation turned to cdiff, and really have no idea how. The wife was probably around 30-35 and was a fitness instructor and mentioned that a long course of keflex had caused her to get sick. She mentioned that after her first course of vanco that she was relapsing and that she had taken L reuteri and glycerol and it kicked it. I noticed Bobbie had posted a research article that this is in fact something that shows promise. L reuteri is nothing more than a probiotic and glycerol is used for everything from baking to used as a pre workout. Obviously I’m not saying take this over your docs advice but just to see that more natural therapies are being tested with good results and don’t pummel the gut like pharmaceuticals is never a bad thing.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:30 am

How interesting! I just hope they find more alternatives for treatment And it would be great if there is a vaccine! It helps to talk to people that have been through the c diff journey. It would be amazing not having to worry about this constantly! Gosh, I wish I was like you. I’m so jealous you had drinks! But I did have and in and out hamburger and a cheese- less pizza yesterday! Ans I did finally try those protein shakes- not much but just a little. It tasted like a milkshake! It took everything in me not to drink more!

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:40 pm

Thank you so much Beth! I will be sure to look into that! I did notice a small positive difference from when I took the protein drink with all the essentials!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:37 pm

I’d be eating in and out all day everyday. I fly into La x and drive to Ontario every September for a weeks worth of business and get a burger when I land and stay at a hotel (purposely) that’s across the street from in and out. I come back letting out an extra belt loop every time.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:33 am

Yes, in and out is sooo good! Went for another hamburger today. I’m on mission to get those pounds back!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:05 am

In n Out agrees with me too. I just don't get the cheese or the lettuce.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:00 am

Hi Beth! That’s exactly how I get my hamburger there too!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”