Some questions re: SIBO

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

Some questions re: SIBO

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 am

After 2 bouts of C. Diff and nearly 2 years of doctors telling me I was just dealing with post-infectious IBS/not knowing why I was sick so often, my symptoms are leading me to suspect that I may have SIBO. I'm currently flaring (after eating homemade Low FODMAP banana bread made with maple syrup - and jam on toast while sick made my symptoms worse). After recognizing these triggers & doing some research, I tried cutting out all concentrated sugars and saw a massive improvement in symptoms.

Has anyone else developed SIBO after C. Diff? What was most helpful? Any foods/snacks without sugars that you typically do well with and like to eat? Not seeking medical advice - I am currently working with a functional MD & will determine if it's definitively SIBO/get some treatment options. I do know that I don't want to take Xifaxan - all of my traditional GI doctors who mentioned this antibiotic said they wouldn't give it to me considering my C. Diff history. SIBO is new to me so this is all very confusing!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Some questions re: SIBO

Postby Ril » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 pm

I am surprised your GI drs won’t prescribe xifaxan. It is frequently given for both IBS and SIBO and after c diff. It rarely causes a recurrence of c diff. I am not sure of their rationale and I cannot give medical advice. I did take xifaxan twice several years ago and a few months ago took another course of it for a recurrence of what my GI thought might be a recurrence of SIBO inflaming my PI IBS.

In terms of diet the best you can do is in my experience a low FODMAP diet but my issues are more IBS than SIBO. The SIBO in my case is more of short term as it causes a flare of my longer term IBS.

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:20 pm

I’m interested in this situation. Last year at about this time I had a stubborn case of c diff, with 2 courses of vancomycin, 1 course of dificid, and a Zinplava infusion. Right now I’m in a lot of pain, with either a recurrence of the c diff or SIBO. A stool panel has been sent to a lab, hopefully with some answers back soon. I think it might be SIBO.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:47 am

I had SIBO after c difficile and it was one of the worst cases that the doctor had seen. My breath test was off the chart at 150%. I did treat with Xifaxan and that knocked it down to 50%, but still positive. Then I just was careful with what I ate. I probably still have it to some degree, but yes, cutting out sugars is helpful or at least cutting down on them. I still have trouble with fiber - so vegetables are difficult for me. I would get a breath test if I were you and see if you even have it and if you do, how high the numbers are. If it is a mild case, I would opt for diet as well.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”