I have to take anxiety meds now

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

I have to take anxiety meds now

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 pm

I’ve tried so hard to avoid anti anxiety meds out of fear of putting something in my stomach. But my husband I just talked and I need help. (Which I’m sure you all will agree due to all my posts!!)

They first wanted me to try lexapro but now nortiptyline (which is suppose to slow down the gut) is slowing down the gut a bad thing tho?!

My stomach has been gurgly all day and I keep getting a little “tinge” like I have a stomach ache. It’s sent my anxiety through the roof as I have used the bathroom during the afternoon which I usually only go in the morning only. May sound funny but I’m all about routine lol.

Thanks again!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: I have to take anxiety meds now

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 am

Nortriptyline won't slow the gut like an opiate , it will help regulate the transit and ease abdominal pain .I'd say you have made the right choice by starting the anti anxiety medication.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:29 am

Anxiety will greatly disrupt the gut of even a healthy person. I had anxiety issues before, during, and after a cdiff infection. Gettting the anxiety under control is vital to healing. People have to take meds for things like high blood pressure. Anxiety meds helped me tremendously. Unfortunately the uncertainty with this type of infection and possibility of relapse can be very tough on people who struggle with anxiety disorders. I feel it it is similar to having PTSD from a bad event. I am 3-4 years past recovery and I still have to battle anxiety issues when I get the occasional upset stomach. The best advice I could give is to try not to focus so much on what is going on day to day when you use the bathroom. As long as you are not having a high frequency of watery movements you are healing. Focusing on this too much will continue to reinforce anxiety. Hang in there

ln86
New User

Postby ln86 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:40 pm

I had to start taking Zoloft to deal with the anxiety of c diff. It's helped me a great deal, despite relapses. I am also a very "routine" person so I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope you feel better!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”