Possible Relapse due to Ativan?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
2013jp
Brand New Poster

Possible Relapse due to Ativan?

Postby 2013jp » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 am

Hello. Background: I had C diff back in 2015 when I used to work in a skilled nursing facility. I was only 25 at the time. Poor protocols for patients on isolation and my previous years of taking antibiotics for acne is what made me susceptible. I became septic, and almost died due to not realizing what I had for a some period of time. Every time I told someone what I thought I had I got shrugged off. I actually had to diagnosis myself at the hospital since I was "too young" to have it. Shortly after my hospital stay, I relapsed when I returned to work. This time I was on strict medication protocol of vanco every 3 hours with a taper off and metronidazole ( I think) for 4 hours. I was out of work for a month. Lost 10 lbs. Eventually I tested negative and left my job at the nursing home.

Despite all this for the past 6 years, I have suffered greatly mentally, and have previously been Dx with OCD and severe anxiety, and then with moderate depression. I was unmedicated and remained so for the longest time. I was also not getting the professional help I needed. It resulted in destroying relationships. I didn't want to go on Prozac (which kept getting prescribed to me) because there was a strong link to C diff. But because my daily life became so disrupted after this situation, I eventually consented to taking Ativan on a as needed basis, mostly to help me sleep. I take a pill once a week at the lowest prescribed dose since January 2021 just to assist with anxiety and panic attacks. I also been going to therapy and doing acupuncture. I was finally feeling better mentally and making progress. But now I have recently come across some stomach issues. Some cramping, increased gas and have had loose stools for the past few days that remind me of my initial phase with C Diff. I have had A LOT of stress recently with family/work drama and a OCD flare up. I am trying to convince myself it's my body reacting to stress. But then I came across a page stating that Ativan increases risk for C diff. Has anyone found this to be true? I am so upset. I have been C diff free for years but truly didn't experience life because of being so mentally incapacitated. And now I am starting to feel better, I am afraid things will get really dark again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible Relapse due to Ativan?

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Hello and welcome to the site. You can find more information in the first forum for new posters.

I have never heard of Ativan being tied to c difficile. My mother used to take it and she had c difficile and it did not cause a relapse. However, some of the anti anxiety and anti depression meds can cause GI upset, including diarrhea, etc. Anxiety and stress can also cause GI upset. If you get worse, you can always test. However, if it is some type of infection, it may not be c difficile, but some other pathogen, so if you do test, ask to have a culture done to rule out other bacterial infections. Right now, I would just try to eat bland foods for a few days and see if you improve.

roy
Administrator

Re: Possible Relapse due to Ativan?

Postby roy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:39 pm

I would not think taking low dose Ativan once a week would cause anything and I have never heard of it causing c. Diff.
It won't help with your OCD or anxiety either because your not using it at a therapeutic dose. .
Talk with your Dr and accept help, even if that means going on prozac at the CORRECT dosages.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”