Toddler at Risk on Antibiotics after Exposure to Me?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ln86
New User

Toddler at Risk on Antibiotics after Exposure to Me?

Postby ln86 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 am

Hello,

Three weeks after the birth of my second child, I was diagnosed with a UTI and given Keflex. My symptoms worsened over the next few days and my doctor changed my antibiotic to Augmentin. The next day, my newborn ended up in the hospital with a fever. We spent the next 3 days in the hospital. I began having diarrhea on our return home, but I chalked it up to the antibiotics. However, it persisted for 2 weeks until I ended up in the ER. I completed a 10 day course of Vanco, relapsed, and just completed a 10 day course of Dificid last week.

Today, my toddler was prescribed augmentin for a pre septal cellulitis infection in her eye. I told her doctor I am recovering from C diff and that she had definitely been exposed in our house, but she told me not to worry. I of course am terrified she could get C diff, as I was on augmentin when I did as well. I am giving her kefir, Florastor Kids, and Culturelle. I was hoping to get more advice here — is she at greater risk having been around me while I was sick? And, is there anything I can do to prevent her from getting it other than the probiotics and kefir?

I cannot bear the thought of her having c diff. I have been very careful and have used my own bathroom and sanitized the house with clinical Clorox, but there were several days before my c diff diagnosis that I had to take her with me into the bathroom while my husband had our newborn.

Thank you in advance!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Toddler at Risk on Antibiotics after Exposure to Me?

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:27 am

It is unusual for family members to get c difficile from each other. I assume that you washed your hands well and washed her hands. I think that you are doing what you can with giving her the probiotics. Don't overdo it though as they can cause GI upset too. I would check with her pediatrician if you are worried.

ln86
New User

Re: Toddler at Risk on Antibiotics after Exposure to Me?

Postby ln86 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:53 am

Thank you, Beth. Yes, I have probably over-washed my hands and have tried to wash hers as well. She’s only 2 and is constantly touching the floor and everything else! :) Her pediatrician didn’t seem worried so perhaps I am overreacting. My recent experiences with C diff have definitely given me added anxiety. This discussion board has really helped me so many times — so grateful to all of the nice people who share their experiences and offer support.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”