Confused about recent diagnosis

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TK17
New User

Confused about recent diagnosis

Postby TK17 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:31 pm

Diagnosed w cdiff about Sept 6. Took vanco, still issues. Took dificid, but still cramping and pooping a LOT-5-8 times a day but no d. Always having to rush to the toilet, sometimes not making it. I go within 20 min to 1 hour after eating. Stomach rumbles sometimes. There are days that I don’t poop at all and don’t have stomach cramps. And mornings I wake up and have massive gas but as soon as I get out of bed the massive gas stops.

GI dr wanted a watery stool test. Told him I didn’t have those so ordered CT scan in 2 weeks. The other day I ate breakfast. Within 20 min had mucus d, which I captured for dr. SUPER stinky even w lid on! First time in weeks I’ve had d. It tested positive for cdiff. Problem is, I haven’t gone to the bathroom again, at all, in 2 days.

VERY confused about the diagnosis. If I have cdiff, how come I haven’t had cramps or gone to the bathroom in 2 days?? I have to mention, after I had the mucus d, it’s like my stomach and bowels felt better, like a flush out of my system.

Any ideas? Is this cdiff? The stinky mucus d definitely seemed like it unless there are other GI issues that cause that. Won’t I always test positive for cdiff now that I’ve had it?

PLEASE, any thoughts?
Last edited by TK17 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TK17
New User

Re: Confused about recent diagnosis

Postby TK17 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 pm

I forgot to mention, yesterday I took an extra 10 mg of steroids ( I’m steroid dependent). I’ve taken extra steroids before and sometimes feel this has helped w the cramps/d but haven’t really tracked it enough to be sure

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Confused about recent diagnosis

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:49 am

You can test positive with c difficile for a while and unless you have the WD or at least more symptoms, it usually is not treated. I tested positive for over two years, but I did not have D except for once in a while. I would see how your symptoms go. Steroids can also cause loose stools, at least they did for me and they also lower your immunity. The alternating C with D is often a symptoms of PI-IBS. If your D continues, maybe test again to make sure. What type of test did you have?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”