New to forum, partial success

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tomb523
New User

New to forum, partial success

Postby tomb523 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:18 am

Hi all. Trying to make a long story short, but I've been suffering chronic diarrhea for 4 or 5 years now after taking Prilosec for extended period. Didn't realize it could cause this much problem, but apparently stomach acid helps keep bad bacteria in check. I was keeping the diarrhea in check using Imodium, but a few weeks ago I decided to stop (I was also using the type that had an antacid). My minor diarrhea went into overdrive and dehydration set in and I decided to get tested discovering my affliction with C.diff (I had been just claiming IBS up to this point). So I went into my research mode full bore.

I had been doing many other things that didn't help either like intermittent fasting and a keto diet, but also being one to hate drugs, I decided to "eat my way" out of it. I was taking a probiotic and eating all the fermented foods I could get my hands on and it was helping, but the results were inconsistent. Then I read about prebiotics and purchased anything that fell into this category. Green Plantain flour, Casava flour, flaxseed flour, chicory root... I made steel cut oat meal with kefir, yogurt and blueberries, waffles with these new flours and honey, breakfast burritos with eggs, sunchokes, sprouted black beans and more. I bought tempeh and mixed with sprouted black beans and some green plantain flour and made "veggie burger" and found them quite tasty (although not even remotely ground beef like). My diet has become mostly plant based and, as I said pre and probiotic focused. I am cautiously happy to report my results have become more consistent with fewer and firmer bowel movements over the last week (previously, a day or two streak). It hasn't been long enough to be sure, but I think I might be starting to lose some weight! My fat pants are feeling a bit loser anyway. I'll try to keep posted one the success up in the success story group going forward.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New to forum, partial success

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that your new diet seems to be helping you. Just make sure you get enough protein. Protein also helps to firm up stools I believe. As far as probiotics go, Florastor claims to also help firm up stools. It does not agree with me, but other posters have used it successfully.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”