Surgery after cdiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TK17
New User

Surgery after cdiff

Postby TK17 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:28 pm

I had cdiff around the first week of Sept. Took vanco and dificid. I feel like my bowels are finally back to normal ( constipated but now have gas a lot). My stomach still feels sore/sensitive.

I am having my breast implants removed Dec. 20th. Is there anything I need to know or be concerned about? I know I need to watch out for whatever antibiotics they want to give me; anything else?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Surgery after cdiff

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:14 am

I would ask if they can do the removal without giving you antibiotics. I had two surgeries after c diff. One was a breast surgery and the other parathyroid surgery where they cut into my throat. For the breast surgery, I had to wash with some kind of special solution that was antibacterial the night before and the morning of the surgery. I had no complications. Ask your doctor if that is a possibility or if antibiotics are definitely required.

Footie97
New User

Postby Footie97 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Most surgeon are directed by hospitals or the standard of care to give antibiotics before surgery. I recently have my 3rd surgery after curing c diff with FMT. I asked the surgeon if we could skip it, he knew my situation and concern for c diff. He advised me to have the antibiotic pre-op but was flexible about which one to use. My surgery was an open abdominal surgery that may have involved opening up the small intestine. We chose a less offensive antibiotic and I did just fine. The hospital did give me antibiotic wipes for me to use for several days pre-op. I did just fine and have had no signs of c diff 5 weeks later.

Good luck,
Clint

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:54 am

I think with abdominal surgery it is a must, but not with all surgeries. I had the breast surgery at a major hospital and there was no problem with not using the antibiotic and the parathyroid surgery at another major university hospital and it was also not a problem. I'm sure with certain surgeries like heart and abdomen, it is probably required and a good idea. But, not with all surgeries, so good to always check.

TK17
New User

Postby TK17 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:20 pm

Beth & Footie 97

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to my surgeon and I’m comfortable with his plan.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”