Lingering Dificid side effects

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jackie24
Regular User

Lingering Dificid side effects

Postby jackie24 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:37 am

I finished my 10 day course of Dificid last Friday which is four days ago and not I am having bad abdomen cramps. I felt like I was having an appendicitis attack this morning! Having loud stomach gurgling too. Could this be a lingering side effect from the medicine, a pending relapse, or a side effect of stronger probiotics I am taking? Please help!!

Jodiekee
Regular User

Re: Lingering Dificid side effects

Postby Jodiekee » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:46 pm

What’s the probiotic you’re on? And how much are you taking? I’m reading a lot of people having problems with probiotics.
I cant take floraster. Iffy on culturelle. I just received my package of VSL#3 in the mail and starting that today.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:59 pm

JodieKee,

I am taking a probiotic from Kirkmans labs called CD-Biotic. It’s got 40CFU’s of probiotics in it including that S word I can’t spell. My pain isn’t really a normal stomach ache pain and it comes and goes so it’s weird. It wakes me up at night and I get a little nauseous. It didn’t start until about a day after I stopped the medicine.

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

The good thing is it comes and goes. If it were appendicitis, it would keep getting worse. My ex had that last year.
Trial and error I guess. The nice people on this forum will be here soon with some suggestions or their own history.
I didn’t take difficid but I took flagyl and vanco and both were yucky for me. I had/have pains everywhere, and still WD but it feels like things are slowly progressing for the better. I could only get off the couch to uses the bathroom, but now I’m bringing the kids to school and able to get some groceries
I won’t retest unless it becomes unbearable like it was a few weeks ago. But everyone’s tolerance is different.
I wish you luck. I know how scary this is.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:07 am

Probiotics can certainly cause digestive upset. I can't take most, but I can take a small amount of VSL#3. The only way to tell is if you stop them for a few days. If it is a pending relapse, taking probiotics won't stop it anyway. If the pain continues, I would call your doctor.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 pm

It could be any of those things. C. diff does damage to your digestive system and for many people it takes a long time to recover while the gut heals.
Many people also suffer from IBS after recovering from c. diff so your symptoms could be IBS too.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”