Other health issues that have developed with Cdiff...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jackie24
Regular User

Other health issues that have developed with Cdiff...

Postby jackie24 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:12 pm

I am struggling here on my second bout with Cdiff and on Dificid. Since contracting Cdiff my blood pressure has shot through the roof and no amount of medicine can get it to go down 181/96 this morning. I have developed Atrial Fibrillation because of all the dry heaving that I have been doing that won't stop. I have a constant headache every single day as well. Has anybody else experienced any of this with their Cdiff experience?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Other health issues that have developed with Cdiff...

Postby beth22 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Hello Jackie24 and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

I have spikes like that with BP, but not from c difficile. If anything, it lowered my BP. Are you drinking enough fluids? I have not taken Dificid, but ask your doctor or pharmacist if it can raise BP. I know some meds can. I get a headache when I don't drink enough and medication can also cause headaches. Last week I had what you are describing, but I don't have c difficile at the moment. Is it possible that anxiety is raising your BP? If you have atrial fibrillation you should definitely see a cardiologist who can address both of the heart related issues. Your issues may not have much to do with c difficile, but a doctor has to make that determination.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:37 am

Cdiff affects only your guts. Try to make an appointment with a cardiologist as soon as you can!

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am

C diff affects more than just your gut. No doubt. I am in active c diff and my blood pressure is high as well. The only other time it was high was 15 years ago, when I had c diff. I’m allergic to flagyl and vanco and have been to hospital twice since last week for hives and wheezing and difficulty breathing. I now have to carry an epipen. My potassium keeps falling. Got fluids twice. I have WD, stomach burning, severe heartburn, my hemoglobins and hematocrit are out of whack, whatever that means. I’m surviving on 1 vanco a day, along with 2 Zyrtec, and prednisone. Scared out of my mind. In New Orleans and everything is backed up due to hurricane Ida. I have consultation for colonoscopy Friday. But, I’m surviving.
So yes, in some cases, c diff can affect more than your gut.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 am

C diff bacteria affects only the gut, but what that infection and D does to your body is in addition. I had a racing heart with c difficile, but I get that with most infections - URI, etc. If I have a fever, it happens too. The D can cause all kinds of problems with your electrolytes, blood counts, etc. Not eating properly can deplete your body of minerals and vitamins which also cause other symptoms. So, yes, it can upset your entire system. But, if you are having cardio problems, a doctor needs to address that and check if potassium or something else is out of whack.

Jodiekee, I'm sorry that you are still having these ongoing symptoms. I also got heartburn, nausea and stomach burning. If your potassium is low, it raises blood pressure too. I hope that the doctors are treating all of these other effects. Vanco lowered the potassium levels of one of our posters before. I hope that you get some help soon and can get some of these symptoms under control. Sometimes what happens when our bodies respond to a severe infection is worse than the infection itself unfortunately. At least that has been my own experience. A few years ago I was hospitalized from complications of the flu that lowered my white blood cell count to that of someone getting chemo and I had to be put into reverse isolation. The flu was gone by then, but it had its effects.

Good luck with your consultation and let us know how you are doing.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks everyone for the information and encouragement! This has been the worst thing I have ever went through. Two months of not leaving my house except to go to the hospital or doctor. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my primary care physician and I am going to beg her to admit me to the hospital so all of my issues can be addressed. I can’t eat, my stomach is making all kinds of noises, I have stomach cramps, high BP, headaches, atrial fibrillation, heart palpitations, more frequent trips to the bathroom, and I can’t hardly get out of bed. Something has to be done!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 am

Talk to your doctor about doing blood work to check your electrolyte levels, minerals, vitamins, etc. I hope you can get some help and feel better soon!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”