Possibly needing antibiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
poppy86
Regular Contributor

Possibly needing antibiotics

Postby poppy86 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi all. Okay, so I have covid right now. My son caught it at school, his whole kindergarten class had an outbreak. I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna but still having a hard time. My chest is hurting a lot. By a lot I mean it hurts constantly and becomes excruciating when I cough. It's at the edge of my ability to endure. I called the doctor, and they told me if it gets severe to go in and they will prescribe me antibiotics to prevent pneumonia. Obviously I'm very averse to taking antibiotics. I had cdiff 18 months ago and want to avoid antibiotics at all costs. So I'm feeling afraid. I've been treating with advil and tylenol and just trying to rest. It has been a long week.

My husband is fully vaccinated and sick as well. My son has been battling a high fever, but we are able to bring it down. It's hard to manage taking care of myself while also taking care of a sick child. I do have a pulse oximeter, and all our oxygen levels have been good (95% or above).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possibly needing antibiotics

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:06 am

I would ask if you are a candidate to get the monoclonal antibody treatment rather than antibiotics. I know of someone who was given that for a breakthrough covid infection and it helped. It is an IV that is given and takes an hour or two.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:48 am

I don't qualify for the monoclonal antibody treatment, but my husband does (since he has Crohn's disease). He's waiting for a call back from the doctor to schedule his infusion.

I went to urgent care yesterday and they took an x-ray of my lungs. I don't have pneumonia, but I do have pleurisy. So I'm supposed to just rest and take anti-inflammatories and wait.

This morning my son woke up with his ear hurting, so we took him to urgent care and he was diagnosed with an ear infection and prescribed amoxicillin. So now I'm anxious about that, but since he's 5 I'm hopeful he will have no bad reaction to the medication.

The covid journey is unpleasant, I recommend everyone get vaccinated, wear a mask, and continue to socially distance.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:04 pm

My latest covid symptom is explosive watery diarrhea with painful cramping. It wasn't like this since I had cdiff. But there's a silver lining, no one in my house can smell anything, including me lol.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 am

Try your best to get the monoclonal antibodies. Beg, plead, demand, go to a hospital in another state. Whatever you have to do to get them. I had Covid in Summer, 2020 and monoclonal antibodies were not available to the public then, but I wish they were. I'm a long hauler. It took about 12 months for me to feel like my old self. I still have some lingering issues, but nothing compared to what I was going through a year ago.

Obviously, we try to avoid antibiotics but if you need them to save your life than the benefit outweighs the risk. Maybe you can request a lower offending antibiotic like Azithromycin, which is often used to treat pneumonia. You can also talk to your doctor about his thoughts on prescribing Difficid along with whatever antibiotic he prescribes pneumonia. I know some doctors recommend that.

I hope you and your family get well soon.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:08 pm

Thank you for your reply LHutz. I ended up not needing antibiotics, and I didn't get a monoclonal antibody treatment, but my husband did. Eventually the chest pain started to ease over a period of 2-3 weeks. We are mostly all better now, with a few lingering symptoms - still diminished sense of taste and smell, and I have this persistent insomnia. Stay safe everyone.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:55 am

Thanks for updating. I'm glad that you are all feeling better and that you did not need antibiotics. Hopefully soon you will be rid of the lingering after effects.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Poppy86,

My husband and I are in our early 80’s. I am an asthmatic and have other health issues. We were immunized - two jabs Pfizer - and took precautions but contracted Covid in August. We were very ill. I was given a monoclonal antibody treatment that kept me out of the hospital. Recovery is slow with side effects.

I am glad u - and your family- are doing better.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”