2 years clear of C-diff, back on antibiotic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
rmm26
New User

2 years clear of C-diff, back on antibiotic

Postby rmm26 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:10 am

I had C-diff in late 2019 after taking Cipro. No issues or relapse after I took a course of Vanco.

I was recently diagnosed with prostatitis. I had a discussion with my doc about my previous C-diff infection and how I was concerned about taking antibiotics. He prescribed Levofloxacin (levoquin). I asked him if that was a broad spectrum choice, and he said to treat the prostate you need a broad spectrum. He recommended I take only half the course if symptoms improved.

Well I took one dose and have had 3 episodes of loose stool. I sent him a message letting him know, and he gave me a new prescription for Doxycycline. I stopped the Levofloxacin after that one dose and have started the Doxycycline.

Needless to say I really wish he would have given me that choice in the beginning, or that I would have come back to this forum to see that Levofloxacin is high risk before taking it. I'm still stressed even though I only took the one dose, especially since I already starting having loose stools so quickly. I'm taking florastor and eating yogurt with the doxycycline.

Anyone have any experience with a relapse on a very short course of antibiotics (i.e. one dose)?

rmm26
New User

Re: 2 years clear of C-diff, back on antibiotic

Postby rmm26 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:03 pm

Came across this article regarding Doxycycline and possible effectiveness in preventing C-diff. Guess this makes me feel a bit better even if the one dose of Levofloxacin causes some issues, even though it was just one study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491851/

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:42 pm

No personal experience as I got it from a 7 day course. . .I would try to bear in mind that antibiotics can cause loose stools anyway, doesn’t automatically mean C Diff. I have never heard any medic advise not to finish the course! Surely the rule is that you must finish it or you risk resistance!
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:34 pm

One tablet is not going to cause c.Diff shortly after taking it.
To cause c. diff an antibiotic has to decimate the gut flora and c. diff multiplies, then it produces toxin, then the body reacts.
That does not happen in a few hours.

rmm26
New User

Postby rmm26 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:49 pm

Thank you both!

GtrGrl that is what I thought also. He even told me to stop the Doxycycline early once symptoms improve. I've read conflicting info on not completing antibiotic courses, but guess I'm going to go with my doc's advice.

I'm honestly wondering if the Florastor might be causing some of the D. I haven't taken it since 2019 and at that time I had D anyway from Vanco/C diff recovery, so reintroducing it to my gut might just mean it's not use to it yet.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:48 pm

rmm26
New User

Postby rmm26 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Great article Roy, thanks.

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Awesome article!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am

Late to the party and haven’t been on in awhile but my doc prescribed me an AB for a bad wound and advised to stop once symptoms improve. I think the old “finish the course” is a thing of the past that probably added fuel to the cdiff fire. If the infection is licked after 4 days why pummel your immune system for 6 more?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”