Excess stomach acid after Cdiff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mike54
Brand New Poster

Excess stomach acid after Cdiff?

Postby mike54 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:37 pm

Hello,

I have been treated with Dificid and believe I am free of Cdiff, but will wake up at night with my stomach burning and full of acid. I'm still on a bland diet. Has antone experienced this?

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Excess stomach acid after Cdiff?

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 pm

Yes but only recently when my microbiome got out of whack again. I think to stop problems like this we need to try and rebalance the whole gut.

As an aside, PPIs like Omeprazole, which weaken stomach acid, can apparently increase your chance of relapse. A doc in A&E tried to give it to me for gastritis but I had to decline. It doesn’t sort the root problem anyway. Just a word of caution in case it’s recommended to you.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Yes, that happened to me too. I never really had acid stomach until after c difficile.

mike54
Brand New Poster

Postby mike54 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:35 pm

Thanks for the responses. Is there any information available on how to get the microbiome back in balance?

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Try Gaviscon; it works well at night. I've had GERD for over 20 years and am on PPIs. My ID doc wanted me off of them because of cDiff, but my GI wants me to stay on them because the damage to my esophagus is worse than the CDiff risk. Happy medium, I was able to cut my daily dose in half, and used Gaviscon to control excess acid.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:30 pm

mike54 wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. Is there any information available on how to get
> the microbiome back in balance?

Take a peek here, and I think it’s worth signing up to their newsletter: https://quadram.ac.uk/

Apparently butyrate is important but I think it’s something you have to encourage in your gut rather than take as a supplement. I’m still reading up on it . . .

Also: plenty of fibre for your good bacteria to munch on.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:05 am

I've experienced this too (11 months post-Dificid, was my 2nd episode of C. Diff) and never had acid problems previously! I'm also on a blander diet; I find that I run into trouble if I eat more food for dinner than I should and am overly sedentary. Not overeating and exercising helps me, as does sleeping on a bit of an incline. I try to eat lactose-free yogurt daily, which has also been helpful, and avoid PPIs and H2 blockers at all costs.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”