Antibiotic Recommendations

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Caligirl
Contributor

Antibiotic Recommendations

Postby Caligirl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Hello all!
First I want to say thank you for the support that I received almost 3 years ago during my battle with recurrent Cdiff. I felt empowered to talk with doctors and make the best decision for myself.
My struggle started when I was 8 months pregnant and got kidney stones. That kidney stone was the first domino that ended with multiple procedures, and made me get c Diff.
The only antibiotics that I “took” that led to the infection were all short term by IV (1 dose when they thought I had strep b, 2 doses during a procedure to get a nephrostomy tube, 2 days of abx when I got an infection during labor, etc).
Anyways, all of that to say- I am 5 1/2 months pregnant and just want to be prepared with information if something happens again. Do you have recommendations for low offending abx that are given by IV? I have avoided abx for the last 3 years, but will absolutely get them if something happens again that puts my baby in danger. I just remember that last time I was given amoxicillin each time, which I believe is a high offender.

Thank you for any info you might have!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotic Recommendations

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm

While there is a list here with antibiotics, when you are pregnant that changes things. You should ask your ob/gyn to contact an ID doctor to see which antibiotic would be safest for the baby as well as the least likely to cause a relapse of c difficile. The ob/gyn would know which would be possibilities and he or she should run those by an ID or even a GI.

Caligirl
Contributor

Re: Antibiotic Recommendations

Postby Caligirl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 pm

That’s a great idea, thanks Beth.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”