re: Monthly post-infectious IBS symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

re: Monthly post-infectious IBS symptoms

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:05 am

Hi all - after 2 bouts of C. Diff since late 2019, I've recently tested negative via PCR, which I feel very glad about! Although I've had IBS my whole life, I'm now having different post-infectious IBS symptoms.

For the last few months, during/after my menstrual cycle my gut slows down dramatically and then really speeds up. When this happens I get pretty intense colon pain for days, sometimes 1-2 weeks (right side, left side, in the middle, everywhere). It's tough to eat much of anything & I end up losing weight. I've already been to my GI doctor about this, and tried multiple medications he prescribed with no luck. Testing/scopes have all come back normal. My doctor eventually said, "you're going to be sick whether or not you eat, so you just need to eat" and "I wish there was a light switch to turn this off for you" (me too.)

Has anyone experienced something similar, and found something (not medication) to help manage post-infectious IBS symptoms/pain? Does post-infectious IBS like this tend to get better over time? Also, I'd love to eat and put on some weight (I'm borderline underweight after all of this), so if anyone has any tips about that I'd love to hear them. TIA!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: re: Monthly post-infectious IBS symptoms

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:35 pm

I have read about symptoms like what you describe for women who have hormonal fluctuations. I used to get constipated before my periods and then sometimes looser during of after, but this was way before I got c difficile. Some women get it without having had c diff. Have you spoken to your gynecologist about it? Maybe there is something he or she can recommend.

As far as gaining weight, I was told ( I also lost a lot and had a hard time gaining) that you need to eat 500 calories more each day in order to gain 1 lb a week. I would try to eat more of the foods that you tolerate - in other words, bigger helpings on your good days. On the days when you don't feel well, maybe more smaller meals. Pepto Bismol with my meals helps me through those kinds of days and my GI recommended that to me. There is also a product called IBGard that some people have tried and it helped them. It is OTC and just peppermint oil in capsules, but is supposed to soothe the GI tract. There is also a RX called EnteraGam that is for IBS-D. Ask your doctor about these. Some people have taken cholestryramine tablets or the powder that you mix in with water or juice. That is also RX and is supposed to carry out toxins and helps bind up stool. It is actually a medication to lower cholesterol, but has been used after c diff to carry out remaining toxins. Ask your doctor.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 pm

I too have had IBS since my teens and had horrible PI IBS which unfortunately has continued indefinitely. It has improved significantly over the years but I continue to need medication.
The first almost 1 year I struggled with various symptoms but different than what you described. I had terrible nausea for months, could only tolerate bland foods and did get a lot of cramping and d. I knew which foods I could eat and ate small meals for a while and took my time adding new foods. I too am small and thin so tried to eat high calorie foods and easy to digest protein.

It takes time….and I tried a lot of medications over the years. Things did improve. For me, medications helped many things. I must say, although I did not have the same pains you describe I did have many problems also.

Hang in there…and don’t give up on meds.
Rita

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am

Thank you all for your feedback. My doctor recommended multiple (3) medications I had not yet tried - unfortunately, none of them ended up being helpful and the resulting side effects were worse than the IBS symptoms! The most helpful thing for me by far has been exercise; I find that even if I don't feel up to exercising during "that time of the month," if I commit to at least a small amount of exercise it resolves the "C" part of the IBS, and I feel emotionally better which is an added bonus.

I'm also now at a stage in recovery where I can tolerate 1/2 a cup of lactose-free yogurt daily, which also seems to be helping my IBS symptoms. I'm eating what I can and while I'm not gaining much yet, I'm up 2-3 pounds and maintaining my current weight :) And per my GI doctor's recommendation, I may see a different GI doctor who specializes in pelvic floor dysfunction (which I also have) which apparently can worsen IBS-M symptoms.
It feels good to have a plan - thank you again!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Which brand of yogurt are you eating? I would like to try that too as I have not had good luck in the past.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Green Valley Creamery lowfat (1% milkfat) lactose-free yogurt. Gradually worked my way up to 4oz/half a cup, which I'm now able to tolerate on a regular basis. I have such a sensitive gut and it works for me, so I hope it works for you too!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”