C diff DNA

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Steffi
Contributor

C diff DNA

Postby Steffi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi friends,

My next question here is: when we have a negative PCR test result meaning that there is no detectable DNA of cdiff - does it mean that we do not have any spores left in the gut? Is it possible cdiff to appear again as a relapse (a new strain infection is a different story) if there is no DNA available?

Thank you!

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff DNA

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:40 pm

None of the tests can detect spores. But my GI dr told me spores germinate back and forth, every few days
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Thank you Ali-Mar,

I can't understand what have told your doctor? Could you, please, explain in more details and thanks in advance :)

Regards

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:50 pm

There's no test available to detect spores.
Mainly because there's no need for such a test.
C. Diff is a normal gut bacteria and is only a problem if it over grows.
We probably all ingest C. Diff spores many times a month and our body just deals with it (or ignores it)

Go to a football game with 50, 000 spectators and on average 2500 of them will be carrying c. Diff
Look onto the pitch and at least one of the players will have it as well!
NONE will need treating and attempting to treat them would cause harm.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:59 pm

Thank you Roy

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:15 am

I was told that I was colonized with c diff spores. That does not mean that I have active disease, but if I took antibiotics, I would have a good chance of those spores activating and causing me to get c difficile again. It happened a few years ago when I was given antibiotics while in the hospital. I had been negative for c diff for about 4 years, but I did test positive about a month after the antibiotics. I did not need to treat the c difficile though. The D went away after a few days. I only took Pepto Bismol as needed per my doctor's instructions.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Thank you Beth!
Exactly here is the focus of my question: how, from where the doctors know that you are colonized with cdiff spores if there is no existing test which detects spores?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Because of the many relapses that I had, but many people carry spores and never get active c difficile. I have to be very careful about antibiotic usage.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 pm

I was saying that my GI Dr told me that spores germinate and they turn back to spores every few days... they don't say as spores all the time... just for few days and then back to spores a few days later...
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:37 am

It's because being colonised with C. Diff is normal, it's not a disease and trying to eliminate it is more likely to cause harm than actually eradicate it.
Also spores are indestructible when inside our gut, anything that kills them would also kill the host (you).

Ali
Your almost correct.
You ingest spores and they become active.
Most of the time there's no disease and the immune system attacks the vegetated active C. Diff.
C. Diff reaction is to change into a spore so it survives, passes out of its current host and infects a new one.
A natural "cure"

Another scenario is the spores germinate into active C. Diff but the immune system does not respond and cause illness.
That scenario is immunity much the same as being vaccinated.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:16 pm

Thank you all for your great replies, I appreciate your support!
I feel so tired of thinking about those spores. I cannot put my case in the group of the 80% who recovered without any trace left, but also, for the almost 11 months after my cdiff infection I continue without a relapse, but I have not taken any antibiotic since. I guess I would understand whether I have remained with spores if I take an antibiotic ...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”