Hi everyone!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Nina2926
Brand New Poster

Hi everyone!

Postby Nina2926 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 pm

My name is Nina, 43, and have been lurking around here for the last three months. I was diagnosed after a dose of Clyndamicin for pretty benign cut infection. I am still very mad at my GP who prescribed it and imagine over an over again going back and not taking it. But, here we are. I was first prescribed Flagyl, knowing everything about it not being a standard first line therapy for a while in US, but that’s what they do here, and since we have a universal health insurance, there wasn’t much I could do. Anyways, the side effects were horrific and I relapsed three weeks after finnishing. Well, maybe not, because WD had lasted only one day and then began subsiding for the next few days. But, I tested positive and was pretty much scared into taking vancomycin by doctors. I was back to normal immediately, even too soon, so that reinforces my belief it wasn’t a relaps after all. Now, 5 weeks later, I’m feeling great, not 100 percent, but pretty good. However, the last few days I’ve been having UTI symptoms, and now wait for culture results. Hopefully it’s e colli if it it ends up positive, so I can get Macrobid. I am terrified of taking antibiotics, especially so soon, and all of this has taken a toll on my mental health. My husband is just about crazy with all of my hygiene protocols and my fears of infecting him and our daughter. I would say that I’m better phisically then mentaly. So, have to start working on that, ASAP. Thank you all for your stories and for all the great advice I found here, it has been a tremendous help. I did a research on safe UTI therapies and came accros this study https://academic.oup.com/jac/article/72/2/522/2638327 Maybe it can be of use to some of you. Thank you all, especially Bobbie, Roy, Beth, NancyT, Lisa3, Anne… I will check in again with my success story :-).
Nina
Ps. I apologize for typos, writing on my phone :-).

roy
Administrator

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby roy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Hopefully lots of water and cranberry juice might wash out any possible infection
A LOT of posters think they have a UTI and don't realise it seems to be a fairly common side effect of vanco so keep that in mind.
If you tested for C. Diff now it might still be positive, it takes quite a while before the leftovers leave your system and PCR test are very sensative.
They are getting the same false results with covid PCR tests because traces of both bugs stick around long after your cured.
Treatment must be judged on symptoms and not on test results.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Hello Nina and welcome to the site. Please read the first section on rules for posting for new members.
Sorry you had to find us and was given the dreaded clindamycin. Many of us got c diff that way…among others.
Don’t be shy about posting and asking for advice as well as giving feedback.

Hopefully you do well and recover quickly.
Rita

Nina2926
Brand New Poster

Postby Nina2926 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Great news, my culture is sterile, what a relief! I hope I won’t have to take another antibiotic anytime soon. I am prone to UTIs, so I am taking D Manosse as prevention. Thank tou for that, too, it is also something I picked up here. Roy, yes, I have noticed many posters complain of this side-effect, I was hoping it might be that. Rita, thank you for welcoming me and for wonderful wishes. I’ll make sure to check in again, both with questions and contributions. Whish you both and everyone else to be cdiff free, healthy and in good spirit.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Hello Nina

Sorry you are going through this but happy the UTI was negative. Bladder symptoms are VERY common and listed under side effects with Vanco. I had issues for a long time after taking Vanco for 3 months. It can irritate the bladder, I saw a urologist but his advice was D Mannose so I continue taking it to this day. As every has mentioned, lots of fluids and it's GREAT news GI symptoms are better!

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Nina2926
Brand New Poster

Postby Nina2926 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Thank you, NanciT, wishing you all the best, too!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”