So Confused!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ladeena
Brand New Poster

So Confused!

Postby ladeena » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Hello! I am pretty frustrated about my situation and am hoping for some clarify by sharing it here.

About two months ago, when I was lying on my right side, I would feel a sharp pain in the rib area; however, as soon as I rolled over it went completely away. Over time; however, the pain became more persistent and when I checked with my GP, he thought it was my gallbladder. I eventually had a HIDA scan (test to see how my gallbladder was functioning) and immediately after, started having very watery D anytime I ate. I assumed it was related to the gallbladder issue (test showed that it's low functioning).

Talked to GI and she was baffled by the D, so she had me do a stool test; however, by then, the D had pretty much stopped and stool sample was fairly solid. I gave sample on Wednesday.

Nurse called on Friday to say I had tested positive for C Diff but by then, D had completely stopped and I was feeling fine stomach-wise. She said I still needed to do antibiotic course and put me on Vanco 125mg 4x/day.

Well, I've been miserable ever since. Exhausted, no appetite, and my stomach hurts. I had two loose BMs this morning (one before eating oatmeal for bfast and one after) but nothing like the original D.

Does any of this make sense? I feel like I didn't need the Vanco and want to stop but isn't it worse to stop antibiotic in the middle of course?

Also, will I make things worse by having a badly-needed glass of wine?

Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: So Confused!

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:43 pm

Hello ladeena and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

I can relate to what you are saying. When I first tested for c difficile and got a positive result, I was not having D any longer, but the doctor insisted that I start a course of vanco - 250mg 4 x per day. After I started, I felt bad with nausea and got D. I wished that I hadn't started, but I did complete the course, although cut the pills to 3 x per day. We are not a medical site and can't really advise what to do in your case, but I would probably ask to speak to your doctor and explain what is happening rather than going through the nurse. It is very frustrating indeed as I well remember. I would call tomorrow and ask for a return call from the GI.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”