Cdiff - because of abx or exposure or both ?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Steffi
Contributor

Cdiff - because of abx or exposure or both ?

Postby Steffi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi friends,
My cdiff infection happened after a period of 4-5 months during which I have taken 5 different antibiotics (!!!). It was just a cruel winter for me during which I had permanent respiratory infections. The antibiotics were the following:
Ciprofloxacin, Pancef (type of cefalosporine), Klacid (Claritromicin), Leflox (Levofloxacin) and Zinat (again type of cefalosporine). All these abx were with long courses like 10 days or more some of them (!) Prior to these abx I have taken even more some months ago (in the summer - another Cipro and another Klacid)
My question is: should I think about any external source of my cdiff infection - I mean exposure to cdiff or I can be sure that my cdiff was just a result of all those abx?
I apologize - my question is not very intelligent, but I am constantly asking myself from where the bacteria entered my system, so my question is: is it possible to be just endogenous infection from all those abx without any exposure to external source?
Many thanks in advance for your answer.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff - because of abx or exposure or both ?

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:56 pm

The antibiotics simply triggered your infection by wiping out the good flora that you had and allowed the c diff bacteria to overgrow. Where you picked up the c difficile bacteria in the first place is anyone's guess. I got mine by visiting my mother in a rehabilitation hospital. She had it and so did many other patients and when I took antibiotics it allowed the infection to manifest.

Steffi
Contributor

Re: Cdiff - because of abx or exposure or both ?

Postby Steffi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 pm

Thank you Beth

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”