Well, I'm back

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Well, I'm back

Postby Jackie25 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:06 pm

Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting on the forum in YEARS! I recognise lots of familiar names, and see a lot of new ones as well. My heart goes out to everyone currently suffering with C diff. I had a recurring infection many years ago, was finally healed by a taper and pulse method of Vancomycin.

Now, here I am. Back again. About a month ago I had a UTI and was given Bactrim, typical dosing. It tremendously helped my symptoms but after my dose was up I felt as if I still had a mild UTI so was then given Macrobid a week later. This was the first time I've had to take antibiotics since I had C diff, so I was very anxious about it but I was also in pain from the UTI so it had to be taken care of. I took my regular probiotic during treatment and added in my old friend Florastor as well. Felt fine, had some loose stool but I know thats normal for antibiotic use.

Fast forward to last week- I had a minor procedure done under general anaesthesia which left me constipated the day of and a few days afterwards. I decided to pick up some Metamucil and took that Saturday night before bed. Woke up Sunday with a very WEIRD looking BM that contained M. Did a quick google search and discovered what I saw was typical for using Metamucil by loads of people so I felt better about that. I'll spare the details as this is not the TMI section but if you've ever taken Metamucil you might know what I'm talking about! Well, ever since then I have had stomach cramping after meals, loose stool after eating that contains M, belching, and what feels like acid reflux even. This has made my appetite almost non existent mind you, so I also haven't been eating as much as I normally do.

Which brings me to today, I had a more formed BM this AM and felt better. So at lunch I ate chicken salad wraps, felt okay afterwards. Then around 5pm today I started to feel sick and had stomach cramps and knew I would be heading to the RR soon. Sure enough, had D followed by another episode of WD with what appeared to possibly be only M 40 min later.

I'm so confused and upset honestly. Ive been C diff free for YEARS. Bactrim and Macrobid are low offenders so I thought maybe I would be in the clear. I do have IBS so I know my flora could just be off from the antibiotic use and the anaesthesia and this is an IBS flare of some sort. I have an appt tomorrow morning at 8:15 to see my GP and get a stool test done. Am I overreacting or acting too soon in regards to c diff? I just remember how terrible it was and having to go through that again would be terrible. I would get through it I know, but it is upsetting nonetheless.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Well, I'm back

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 am

I tested positive after years of being negative when I took antibiotics, but mine were strong ones given through IV at the hospital. Nonetheless, my GI said not to treat, only to take Pepto Bismol, which I did and I did not have to start antibiotic treatment for c difficile. If you test, see what your symptoms are when you get the test back. Try eating a bland diet for a few days - rice, etc. Even if you are positive, you may not have to treat if symptoms get better.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:11 am

Thank you, Beth!

I messaged my GP to get her advice on what I should do. Have been eating bland now, only since last night of course. I seem to be okay so far, did use the RR this morning but it wasn’t WD or only M. It just fell apart. I know c diff is multiple episodes of WD and feeling pretty ill, I don’t seem to have that. I just feel “off” in regards to BM’s and my GI system. I’m hoping it’s just a bad IBS flare from my stomach being thrown off by the antibiotics I’ve taken over the last month.

Thank you for your input and advice. I greatly appreciate it :)

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm

How are you feeling, Jackie? Did you get a test?
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:16 am

would like to follow this post
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”