Why are dentists/docs still prescribing Clindamycin?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
x3Jane
Brand New Poster

Why are dentists/docs still prescribing Clindamycin?

Postby x3Jane » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Greetings! I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm here because my dentist prophylactically prescribed Clindamycin before a gum surgery. Yep. That's why I am now in a world of confusion, worry, and pain. When I read the warnings about this evil drug, I clearly saw how dangerous it was and was very hesitant to take it. But it was the weekend and I didn't feel I could/should wait until Monday, etc. I worried every single day I took it, which turned out to be 15, because he wanted me to take it for an additional five days after the surgery. I've spent a lifetime (in my 60s) avoiding antibiotics at every chance and eating a healthy diet. I have had zero digestive problems in my life.

Until now. Today I got my test results back--positive. So far I've not had terrible symptoms but after reading through the posts here, I realize what I could face.

My question is: Why are dentists and docs still prescribing this--and why is it even on the market? Have they not read any of the literature about what it causes for a large percentage of people who take it? What am I not understanding?

PS: You can bet I'll be calling my dental team on Monday to tell them what happened. I hold them to blame.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Why are dentists/docs still prescribing Clindamycin?

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi x3Jane and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

I'm so sorry that you got c difficile, especially when you were given an antibiotic even though you did not have an infection. I don't know why dentists prescribe clindamycin either when there are other antibiotics they could prescribe. I also don't understand about the prophylactically part. My dentist does not prescribe antibiotics "just in case". I guess if someone has a heart condition that warrants that, it is different, but without any other medical reason, I do not agree with that. I had two surgeries in the same year (not dental) and my doctors agreed to not give me any antibiotics and I did not get any infections and did not need them.

I would definitely talk to your dental team about this. Are your symptoms severe, or are they subsiding on their own?

x3Jane
Brand New Poster

Postby x3Jane » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:51 pm

Beth: Thank you for response.

I don’t feel my symptoms have been severe—or even serious. About six days ago, I started to notice that I was going to bathroom (need to learn proper etiquette to talk about this) about five times a day. It was not liquid—so not diarrhea. But it was also not normal. I also had two embarrassing episodes happen before I made it to bathroom. Those were liquid in consistency. That worried me so I went to urgent care yesterday. The doc seemed certain it was C Diff because of the antibiotic I took (and had completed two weeks earlier). He gave me the test to take home for collection and, at same time, prescribed vancomycin. He urged me to take the V right after I dealt with the stool samples. I followed his advice—albeit warily. The last thing I wanted was more antibiotics in my system.

After reading posts here and on Dr Google, I really didn’t think I had C Diff. No diarrhea (although soft), no abdominal pain, and no odd smell. But this morning, the pharmacist at hospital called me and told me my results were positive.

I’ve now taken almost two days worth of V and have almost no symptoms. Wondering if I have a mild case (is that even possible?) or if I’ll be slammed with more serious symptoms to come. And if I have a mild case, should I even have been given V?

I’ve obviously got a lot to learn! Been going thru this forum with greedy eyes!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:57 am

It might have been better to wait to take the vanco, but since you started it, you should continue to take it. What dosage did they give you to take? Usually the 125mg works as well as the 250mg tablets, especially for milder cases.

x3Jane
Brand New Poster

Postby x3Jane » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:47 am

He prescribed 125 mgs four times daily. I wish I had waited before taking V but don’t have proper medical team. If I had a knowledgeable gastrointestinal doc I might have waited. But I only have a primary doc whose office didn’t call me back and then it was the weekend. At this point, I’m disgusted with the entire medical system—starting with my dental team (dentist and periodontist)— who got me here in the first place.

Has there ever been legal action taken against docs who prescribe this? From what I read, there are plenty of less harmful antibiotics to prescribe. Surely, they know how dangerous this one is.

x3Jane
Brand New Poster

Postby x3Jane » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:09 am

He prescribed 125 mgs four times daily. I wish I had waited before taking V but don’t have proper medical team. If I had a knowledgeable gastrointestinal doc I might have waited. But I only have a primary doc whose office didn’t call me back and then it was the weekend. At this point, I’m disgusted with the entire medical system—starting with my dental team (dentist and periodontist)— who got me here in the first place.

Has there ever been legal action taken against docs who prescribe this? From what I read, there are plenty of less harmful antibiotics to prescribe. Surely, they know how dangerous this one is.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm not sure if there are lawsuits regarding the use of clindamycin for use prophilactically. You could either research it or consult an attorney. I think there may have been, but I don't know if they were successful or not. You could certainly report it to a medical review board in your county or state though.

The good thing is that you are not taking the high doses of vanco. I was given those and it did more harm than good. Speak to your doctor on Monday to see what to do next.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”