2nd Time Around

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
bvoyles
Brand New Poster

2nd Time Around

Postby bvoyles » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Hello. I'm a 41yo female from Texas. Three years ago I took Augmentin and got C Diff after just a couple days. Since then, I had stopped all antibiotics. After having Covid, I ended up needing antibiotics for an infection that wasn't disappearing on its own. Guess what? C diff again! So I've been on Vancomycin (I am Flagyl resistant) on a taper. I stopped taking the meds about 4 days ago and I feel like every day I'm just waiting to relapse. Whereas before I had fairly hard BMs, I find myself having consistent soft-serve style BMs. No diarrhea back yet, but I'm concerned that my BMs haven't returned to their original state.

My insurance won't cover Difficid (which worked last time), so my dr will put me on a longer term taper of Vanc if it comes back.

How can I be sure I'm good to go for a while? Last time, I relapsed almost right away off the meds.

I know you can't reply to this, I just wish Insurance Companies would understand that there are so few treatments for this disease.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2nd Time Around

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:39 am

Bvoyles, sorry to hear you have C Diff again, and I hope you will get better soon. I have seen on this site that there is an assistance program to get Difcid for free. There was a link somewhere on this site to access the application.

Here is some info on the program:

https://www.merckhelps.com/DIFICID%20Tablets
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2nd Time Around

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 pm

As you know , after Cdiff is cleared the gut still remains irritated and the flora is still unbalanced , so abnormal stools are to be expected. Do keep a diet , it's very important to eat easy to digest foods and stay away from inflammatory things like sugar , alcohol ,even dairy product made from cows milk (because of the casein). Also ,to help firm up stools there are a few things you can do like a binding agent (Questran for example) and you might wanna look into probiotics. If , God forbid , you end up relapsing please know that a Vanco taper has worked for a lot of people and it can be your magic bullet.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”