Colonoscopy done, which meds if c diff returns?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
SJW2903
New User

Colonoscopy done, which meds if c diff returns?

Postby SJW2903 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am

Hello

(57 year old woman, c diff diagnosed on 19th April, treated with 10 day course of metronidazole, retested 25th May due to some discomfort ibs type pain etc and still positive for toxins but no D. Dr said not surprised I still tested positive for toxins as not unusual but didn’t need to be treated as no active symptoms.)

I had a colonoscopy on Thursday (6 weeks after finishing metronidazole). I had to have this done due bleeding and concerns over weight loss. The results showed no cancer or polyps just mild inflamation on left side of colon so it’s good to know the c diff didn’t cause more damage. I am waiting for biopsy results which were taken from the lining various parts of the colon as routine.

Since the colonoscopy I am having normal bowel movements once in a morning and other than some usual IBS type discomfort nothing to indicate active c diff infection so far.

I guess it’s early days and c diff could rear up again and if it does I wondered if anyone could share their views on whether vanco of dificid would be best treatment?

I am in the Uk and I would have to see if I could self fund the dificid as it wouldn’t be available on prescription (but the vanco would) but I would try to do this if it’s the best treatment.

I am keeping everything crossed that it doesn’t re occur but I am anxious about it.

Thank you

Sally

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy done, which meds if c diff returns?

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 pm

I am having a colonoscopy in two days due to a positive Cologuard test and I plan to use Dificid if needed, but hopefully not. Not looking forward to the prep as I have heart problems too and have to worry about electrolytes being out of balance.

It's a good sign that your bms have been normal.

SJW2903
New User

Postby SJW2903 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 am

Thank you Beth, I hope your colonoscopy and prep goes well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Dificid IS available on prescription in UK!
Here it's called Dificlir or Fidaxomycin.
Don't be fobbed off by a penny pinching Dr!

Hopefully it sounds like you won't need it.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:05 am

Yes, as Roy says it is available in the UK -- it’s the priciest option so not handed out willy-nilly but it can be prescribed by a consultant (I was told this has to be signed off by a second person too, precious stuff!).
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

SJW2903
New User

Postby SJW2903 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:43 am

Thank you both. I will ask my gastro consultant if he can sort it for me. I take it you both think that is a better option than vanco? Is it reasonably easily tolerated, I struggled with the metro?

Thank you again

Sally

lvg
New User

Postby lvg » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 am

dificid worked better than vanco for me…wishing you the best and that nothing is going to be needed!

SJW2903
New User

Postby SJW2903 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Thank you Ivg! Hopefully all will be well but I will definitely push for dificid to be prescribed.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 am

Dificid is the only drug designed specifically for c diff.

SJW2903
New User

Postby SJW2903 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Thank you Bobbie, it sounds like the best option if needed. Still have some discomfort and feel very fatigued but no D thankfully.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Give yourself some time. C diff can be devastating to the body. If the same in a couple of months, contact your doctor. Some light exercising can be helpful if you are up to it.

SJW2903
New User

Postby SJW2903 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Bobbie thank you, I really appreciate your support. I can’t believe how ill I’ve felt with all this and how much anxiety surrounds it all. I will give myself some time and hope things settle. Thank you again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”