Long term gastritis post C. Diff.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Benh
Contributor

Long term gastritis post C. Diff.

Postby Benh » Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello all, it has been far too long since my last post. I tried to stay connected but life issues have gotten in the way. I hope that the group is as well as can be and that those that are currently suffering can take solace in the fact that so many of us have rid ourselves of this dreaded disease. My story is in the success stories thread - essentially, I contracted c diff in early 2017 at the age of 47 after visiting my dad in the hospital when I was on a course of antibiotics for a sinus infection, and I relapsed once and then finally knocked it out with a very long vancomycin taper (approx. 5 months). I still take one florastor a day as well as drink kefir and otherwise treat my body much better than ever. So, my current issue - I have been suffering from gastritis since my c diff diagnosis (over 4 years now). It has come and gone in severity. I have modified my diet tremendously and was on a few courses of Zantac and I did try BD Gard, licorice tablets, and Pezin GI each for short periods to no avail. I have never gained my weight back either but that has become my new normal. I have had three endoscopies, all biopsies negative for h pylori and all show erythematous mucosa (redness) in the gastric body, greater curvature, and atrium. My main and only real symptom is pain just below my rib cage, mostly right side and sometimes fullness after even small meals. Honestly, the pain is manageable and I am used to it but my real concern is the long term impacts of this condition. I am having anxiety flashbacks to c diff and wondering if it will ever go away or worse if it will lead to ulcers or even cancer. My Doctor shares some concern but isn’t overly concerned. I will admit that this last year has been difficult, as I am sure it has for many. I lost my dad and a friend to covid last April and May and stress is a definite trigger but I have also had plenty of low stress periods over the last 4 years but still can’t shake this. I wanted to see if anyone else has had long term gastritis and if so any ideas on how to better manage it and finally get rid of it? Since c diff, I am generally adverse to prescription medications but would consider it if it could lead to curing it. My diet is extremely bland, I exercise regularly (walking, push ups, light weights), and I don’t drink or smoke at all. Thank you. Ben

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Long term gastritis post C. Diff.

Postby beth22 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 am

I have had gastritis as well. I also have had several endoscopies and it always shows some type of gastritis, usually mild. I do have a medication that was prescribed to me called Sucralfate, but I have not tried it as my symptoms didn't warrant it. It is an older med and comes in liquid or tablet. You can look it up and ask your GI about it. Supposedly it is mild.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 am

From experiance I can tell you that pain in the area you describe might indicate fatty liver disease.
Its rarely severe pain, more like an ache or bruised feeling.

If they have not already done so your Dr should order full liver blood tests (not just LFTs) and an ultrasound scan.
The gold standard blood test is called ELF or extended liver fibrosis in UK but probably has another name in US.
Not sure but I think your Dr might know it as "fibrotest" or "fibrosure"
The gold standard scan is called a fibroscan not just an ultrasound.
Both are expensive!
Certainly not diagnosing! but that's what my experiance is.

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 am

Thanks, Beth and Roy. I hope you are both well. I will ask my Dr about these. Roy, the pain is exactly as you describe. Sometimes if feels like my lower ribs are bruised or the muscles have been over worked in that area but I gave up sit-ups many, many moons ago!

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am

So I asked for the fatty liver disease tests and the Dr balked a bit but I think he will order. In the meantime though, some blood tests have come back. It’s in B12 is within normal range (663pg), folate is little HIGH (28ng), intrinsic factor antibody was negative, total plasma homocysteine was normal range (8.1umol/L), parietal cell antibody was HIGH (43 units), automated diff seemed normal but some values didn’t have reference ranges, and my Heme profile + elect diff came back within range but for MCH (36pg) MCV (101fL) and my white blood cells were slightly low at 4.4THO/uL but still in range. So looking at all of this it seems that either the chronic long term gastritis is causing the high parietal cell antibody level or the high parietal cell antibody is a symptom of an underlying condition (like pernicious anemia) that is causing the gastritis. My dr seems perplexed and I will be getting a second opinion as soon as I can. I just need to find the right dr to look at all of this holistically. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated and thank you all. Ben

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”