Moderna Covid vaccine

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amila
Regular User

Moderna Covid vaccine

Postby Amila » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:29 am

Hello to all,

I have a quick question: do you think it is safe - C DIFF - wise-, to get Covid shot, any of them? Does anybody have any experience with this, or some information? I am 59 year old, female ( some of you may remember me), and I had C diff , from Clindamycin, more than 5 years ago. I am scheduled this week for Moderna vaccine, and I really started worrying if Covid 19 vaccines are safe as far as C Diff go?. Any information that any of you may have about this, is highly appreciated.

Good health to all,

Amila

healthys
Contributor

Re: Moderna Covid vaccine

Postby healthys » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

I got moderna on Thursday last week (4/15) and 2 days after that I have been experiencing more loose stools than what I usually do. I am at 5.5 months post last vanco dose. My period is due in 2-3 days so I am not sure if this is due to vaccine or impending aunt flow. Today I have already gone to the bathroom 3 times and the 3rd time was watery D. First two were formed or formed-ish. I am a little nervous, I won't lie; but keeping an eye on the BMs and watching it. Good luck with the vaccine though!

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 pm

I certainly hope that has nothing to do with the vaccine, and that you will be fine. I read about all the ingredients of the vaccine and it specifically says NO ANTIBIOTICS.

If anybody else has any other experience ( hopefully positive), sharing it would be highly appreciated.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Yeah it does not have any antibiotics but loose stools/diarrhea is one of its side effects, from what I read. So it does not cause/aid c-diff per se but loose stools could be a side effect.

https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid- ... de-effects

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 pm

I have received both doses of the Moderna vaccine and had no problem with c diff. There is no reason it should affect your c diff status. There is no known relationship and it contains absolutely no antibiotics. I had some side effects but it was well worth it and I am relieved to be vaccinated and protected. I saw my children and grandchildren for the first time in over a year and have been socializing because friends are also vaccinated.
I too had c diff from clindamycin, not that the cause matters.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Hello Amila

I remember you! I had CDIFF again last(10/20) year after over 5 years( 2014/15) Finished my Dificid taper in October. I had Moderna in Jan and Feb. so it had not been too long and I did fine.
Only a sore arm on the first, but fever and chills with the 2nd. I was far more worried about getting covid......

Most seem to have a fever/chills that pass rather quickly. I was fine after the 2nd day.

Take care

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:18 am

I had the Pfizer vaccine and the next day had a little looser stool and so did my husband. Normal after that. Both Moderna and Pfizer contain PEG, which is the ingredient in Miralax. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but perhaps that is the reason for looser stools. However, I know people who got COVID and had really bad D and vomiting, so I would take the shot's effects any time over getting the disease.

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:50 am

Thank you guys, so much! I will go and get it asap.

Best health to you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:04 pm

Amile,
I am prone to c diff. Had both Pfizer jabs without a problem.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 pm

I got both doses of the Moderna vaccine as well and had no digestive issues afterward. It did give me some mild side effects that lasted a day (aches, chills).

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:18 pm

I'm posting my experience with J&J on this thread in case it's useful. My husband and I (in our 30s) both got the Johnson & Johnson one-shot in early April 2021. Both of us felt fine immediately afterwards, but about 8 hours after the shot (in the evening), we both experienced some combination of chills/fever, body aches, fatigue, nausea, headache that continued into the next day, which was expected. I was feeling lightheaded and finally took Tylenol for the body aches, which really helped. Both of us felt back to 90-100% within 48 hours of getting the shot. No gastric symptoms (aside from a little nausea).

I was really relieved to get the shot because it meant we could see family again. Based on new data coming out re: variants, I'm guessing we may need to get a booster or one of the mRNA shots in the not-too-distant future.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”