Easy to digest probiotic foods/drinks?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

Easy to digest probiotic foods/drinks?

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am

Hi All -

It's been exactly 5 months since I finished Dificid for my 2nd occurrence, and while I'm feeling better, I am definitely not where I'd like to be. My case of C. Diff was more severe the 2nd time around, and post-infectious IBS symptoms are still lingering. While I do still take Florastor daily, my infectious disease doctor was adamant that the probiotics I get from food and drink would be most helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm a special case since I've had severe IBS much of my life, and cannot tolerate many yummy probiotic foods/drinks like Kefir, sauerkraut (due to cabbage) or miso (due to soybeans) as a result. Has anyone had success finding a food/drink source of probiotics that was easy on their gut? I've purchased probiotic tea (the probiotics survive the heat as they are in spore form) and almond milk yogurt which I have yet to try. I very much realize that everyone is different in what they can tolerate, but I'd welcome other ideas. Thanks in advance!

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Easy to digest probiotic foods/drinks?

Postby NS789 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:31 pm

I know you mentioned that you can't tolerate kefir. I couldn't tolerate dairy-based kefir either. But I have been using a very potent coconut-based kefir for several months now with no issues. If you're interested, it's called The Cultured Coconut.

A lot of people like kombucha too. I'm not sure if you've ever tried that.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Thank you NS789 for your suggestions! I am seeing that The Cultured Coconut is widely available in Canada but not so much in the US - currently wondering if we have something similar (I'll be checking for sure!)

As for the kombucha, it's listed as very high FODMAP and not recommended for those with IBS :( (really wish I could try it though!)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 pm

I only had one bout of c diff but as a long term sufferer of IBS, episodic in degree of severity, it left me with a severe case of PI IBS that unfortunately never totally let up.
It might be in your best interest to consult a good GI help you manage the IBS now that the c diff is “cured”.There are now many medications available that can be prescribed should that be useful and necessary.

Best of luck,
Rita

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you Rita. Sorry to hear you've been having the post-infectious IBS symptoms :( Oddly enough, Dificid practically stopped my lifelong IBS-D symptoms, but I am having different post-infectious IBS symptoms now.

My GI doctor is based in a large hospital; I'm happy to have gotten my 2nd COVID vaccine today & can now schedule an in-person visit with no hesitation!!!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am

I think I tried just about ever probiotic on the shelf minus the ones that were refrigerated or outrageously expensive. I also chugged down all the self proclaimed slurries of blukk in the dairy aisle. Phillips colon health has been the best I’ve tried so far. I’m pretty sure probiotics don’t do much, although since cdiff and taking them I haven’t really been terribly ill. So maybe they do help boost the immune system. When I was taking flagyl and even after I was fine on florastor, no discomfort what so ever. I did recently try and finish off a bottle I had in the cupboard and within a day or two had the full blown scoots and horrible stomach cramping. During and after cdiff your gut is gonna go through some major changes. A probiotic that’s fine this month, may not be next. The biggest take away from having gone through it is that more isn’t usually better and doesn’t do much outside of lightening the wallet.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 am

Rev, I too am totally immunized. What a relief!
After I stopped the Florastor my GI recommended Align probiotic for daily use which seems to be useful.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”