IBS flare or cdiff or food poisoning

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cake918
Regular User

IBS flare or cdiff or food poisoning

Postby cake918 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:02 pm

I am 3 years post cdiff. I recently believe I got food poisoning and now my BMs are frequent and mushy. Sorry TMI. Has anyone had a relapse 3 years out without antibiotics use or from food poisoning? Think it’s safe to use pepto?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: IBS flare or cdiff or food poisoning

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:07 am

Cake928,

Doubt very much it is c diff after all this time. Good chance it is food poisoning; check with doc if symptoms persist.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 am

Some bacteria that give food poisoning can be very nasty. I got campylobacter from undercooked chicken and the symptoms were pretty much the same as c difficile. If it continues, contact your doctor and ask about doing a stool culture to check for other pathogens and one for c difficile in case you think you were re-infected.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 pm

I’m about two weeks out from the food poisoning and gut still isn’t feeling great. Definitely not like cdiff but not great either. Can it take a while for gut to rebound after food poisoning when I suffer from IBSD already? How common are community infections? I haven’t taken abx or gone to the hospital/nursing home in over a year?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm

It can be anything. If you continue to be concerned contact your doctor to get a stool culture done. About two years ago I had the same symptoms and had a culture done and unfortunately no pathogen could be found but I clearly had some kind of an infection. I just had to wait it out for many weeks until it cleared out.It did not respond to any medication but ultimately I recovered. A culture might tell you what you have or at the very least give you peace of mind.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:59 am

It took a while for me too with the campylobacter. It did not need to be treated, as it cleared itself, but it still irritated my intestines. I would try to eat bland food until you start to feel better.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”