Recovery

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
1time59
Brand New Poster

Recovery

Postby 1time59 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Diagnosed with C Diff late February. Started and finished
vancomycin felt good BM somewhat ok week later horrible again, now on fidaxomicin 8th day. BM still D. When will this stop. I feel fine otherwise. Not sure if anyone has this too but the D is controlable. Getting nervous something else is going on. Thanks in advance.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Recovery

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:00 am

1time5
The majority of patients (about 70%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl, vancomycin, or Dificid. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include FMT's, which have a high cure rate. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff. 20l6 will be a year of many advances and HOPE.

Help us make others aware of C. difficle – which will lead to further advances in treating and/or preventing the infection. If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them. Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested.

For more information, see other support groups including http://www.peggyfoundation.org, Clostridium Difficile Infection (CDI) Support Group, FMT Discussion, Fecal Transplant Foundation, C Diff Foundation, and the UK Support Site. There is also information on some of the better medical sites like Mayo's, Medscape, and WebMD, and the CDC website. Don't use "Dr. Google" to diagnose yourself.

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. The best protection for you and others is thorough hand washing (soap and water are preferable) and good hygiene by you, those around you, and your health care providers.

No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. All of our moderators and frequent posters had/have C. diff. (or a loved one with it) and know how physically, emotionally, and financially disabling it

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor.

Copied from support site

1time59
Brand New Poster

Postby 1time59 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi
So sorry for the delay replying! A lot of stuff going on. Thank you for responding.
My symptoms are still the same. Had another SS test done and yes positive again. Terrible! Feel like I’m never going to have normal BM. Gastro put me on vancomycin. Going to be on this until middle of May! 14 days 4x a day the 2x a day for 6 days and so on and so until 5/4 1 pill every other day. But in the meantime still have bouts with D. It seems episodes (as I call them) are like an every other day occurrence. But when it occurs it is all day! Can someone share with me what is working for them. I will take any suggestions! Also what is everyone eating? I’m tolerating probiotic yogurt and yogurt probiotic smoothie. No fresh fruit or veggies.(that really something I love) A lot of white rice chick broth, eggs and plain pasta and steamed potatoes. I have to say I am rarely ever hungry? Has anyone had this kind of round of antibiotic and did it finally work? I want to travel to see my family but I don’t want use any else’s bathroom. Been vaccinated and I was so looking forward to seeing family. Please if anyone has suggestions or any experience they may help! Thank you for reading. Rose Ann

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:23 am

It takes a few days until Vanco fully kicks in and symptoms are controlled , usually by the 6-th day you should feel pretty good . There are many probiotics out there that you can try , you just have to see which one works for you , many had success with Saccharomyces boulardii , VSL etc , i stick to my Megasporebiotic which seems to be the best for me . I cannot tolerate yogurt or kefir even though i am three years out of my last Cdiff episode , my gut reacts to everything that is made from cow milk and also reacts to sugar , so i stay away from those,everybody is different though. However ,until you recover you definitely need to eat very bland foods .You could also include in your meals white meat , grilled or baked or boiled , zuchinnis , vegetable soups , toast , , bananas but in small amount because the inulin fiber can be an issue for some people. Vanco works for most people , is very effective but unfortunately Cdiff is a very tricky bacteria and can come back even after a successful course of meds.

1time59
Brand New Poster

Postby 1time59 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:44 pm

Georgina
Thank you for your response! Since I am only day 5 of Vanco hoping things turn around soon. I feel fine, no fever, no real cramps only sometimes when those episodes happen. I seem to control the BM but once the flood gates open it is constant. Good days and bad days with the moods too! I’m going to try adding chicken to diet. I miss salad fresh veggies and fresh fruit and smoothies! Boiled potatoes and white rice are now becoming my staples. Taking Florastor probiotic. I’m really not sure what I can tolerate since still having D.
Once again thank you for sharing your info will me it was very helpful! Stay healthy and remember to smile often.
Rose Ann

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”