Post Round 1 of Vancomycin

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Kneeofit
New User

Post Round 1 of Vancomycin

Postby Kneeofit » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:37 pm

Glad to have found this forum!

From other posts here, I learned that it was not that unusual to have ongoing discomfort, cramps, etc. following the end of treatment for a C. diff infection. Today I asked about it & the NP for the gastroenterologist cited results of a CT done during the diagnosis stage (thought I had a bad diverticulitis flare up), confirmed that I likely had post-infection irritable bowel syndrome, & said that it could take some time to settle out.

I wish that information had been communicated to me earlier, but at least now I know that what I'm experiencing doesn't automatically mean recurrence of a C. diff infection. But of course I will be paying close attention to see how it goes from here..... like nearly everyone else posting here, I never ever want to be that sick again. Plus I sure want to be able to focus on regaining knee function, just have had some crazy months.
Female, late 60s. Had outpatient knee replacement January 2021. Besides antibiotics during surgery, took surgeon-prescribed clindamycin for three days. Flattened by C Diff four weeks post-surgery. 14 days of vancomycin.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post Round 1 of Vancomycin

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:18 am

Hi Kneeofit and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

So sorry that you have not been able to start your recovery from the knee surgery as expected. Clindamycin is one of the worst offenders for c difficile, so keep that in mind for the future and alert your doctors. Hopefully, you will start to feel better soon.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:05 am

Another welcome to the site. Glad you find it helpful. Keep posting.

Kneeofit
New User

low residue diet after treatment?

Postby Kneeofit » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:21 am

Thanks for the messages & support!

The knee surgeon continues to recommend that I take clindamycin before future dental work, but I've discussed with my PCP & I sure won't be doing that. My PCP pointed out that nearly all medical & dental organizations have concluded it isn't necessary, but joint surgeons are holdouts.

Question: Have others found a low residue diet helpful in calming gut after end of treatment for C. diff infection? I know some try low FODMAP or other special diets, but they seem more challenging.
Female, late 60s. Had outpatient knee replacement January 2021. Besides antibiotics during surgery, took surgeon-prescribed clindamycin for three days. Flattened by C Diff four weeks post-surgery. 14 days of vancomycin.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Clindamycin caused my c diff too. It is one of the highest offenders ...I am shocked that the surgeon is recommending it even if he believes you need one, which as your PCP has told you, is no longer advised.

Anyway, different of us have tolerated or not tolerated various foods. At the beginning, best tolerated seem to be baked or grilled fish or poultry, eggs, pasta, toast, potatoes, broth, avocado, etc. Pretty common problems early have been with beef, fiber/raw vegetables, fried/greasy food, sweets and dairy. I could not eat salad for a very long time.

Best of luck with your recovery.
Rita

Kneeofit
New User

Postby Kneeofit » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:32 pm

Thank you for your comments Rita!

My surgeon is one who does multiple joint replacements per day, several days per week in a dedicated joint institute within a major hospital. They have great track record & are highly regarded. Not that it helps me, but I have to assume their usual antibiotic protocols rarely result in problems for patients.

In any case, my surgeon remains focused on what he believes will minimize probability of knee implant infection & advises from that point of view. Of course after explaining what he sees as risks, he said it was my choice whether to use or not use an antibiotic before dental work. For sure I will not!

Thanks for the diet comments -- my Good Spouse has been (taking a longer than usual turn at) shopping/cooking since my knee surgery & has been shifting to dinners with the types of usually-tolerated foods you mentioned (also tofu). Different & more meat-oriented than our usual diet, but it seems like it's helpful to me.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”