New to the group

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
karrat
Brand New Poster

New to the group

Postby karrat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Good morning!! My name is Karra and I have recently been diagnosed with c diff at the age of 40. It was caused by a misdiagnosis and I was given some pretty heavy duty antibiotics which led to c diff among many other medical issues I have been dealing with. I just completed my 10 days of antibiotic for the c diff yesterday. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor on the 20th but with this pandemic it is all over the phone. I have some tenderness in my stomach and have to use the restroom often. Thankfully I am able to work from home but only until the 25th. I know this condition is super contagions so going back to work makes me, and everyone I work with, nervous. There is only 1 restroom that is shared by 6 of us. I would really like to continue working from home but I do not want my co-workers to think I am taking advantage of my medical condition just so I can stay home. Does anyone have advise on what to do and what to tell people if I do have to go back into the office? Is there anything I can do to help speed up the recovery process? How long does c diff even last??? I am taking a probiotic every day and eating a very healthy diet (lean meat and lots of veggies and staying away from all of the triggers) but am not sure if there is anything else I can do... This is all very new to me. Prior to November 19th I was rarely ever sick but since then I have been through hell and back. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: New to the group

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Hello Karra and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If you have completed your treatment and are feeling better, symptoms have improved you should be on your way. We have many posters who take one round and do well. As far as work, if the D is gone and you are recovering all should be fine. Many can get post IBS and it ma take time for BM's to go back to"normal". If you are doing well on your current diet then it is working for you.
You mention you have to use the restroom "often", I am not sure what that means. I Found I needed to stick to a bland diet for some time but everyone is different.
Returning to work is very individual, if D is gone then you are recovering. Talk with your GI about this. I have stayed on the probiotic and find that helps.

Take Care

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am

When I had active c diff, I worked and I shared a bathroom with 6 or 7 people and no one got sick from me. My husband shared our bathroom at home and he never got it. Just use good hygiene and wash your hands well. When you flush the toilet, I would close the lid.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by BetsyS on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi Karra. I had to return to work while still being treated for my 2nd relapse. Same bathroom scenario as your offuce, except I had a co-worker with severely compromised immunity. We were both concerned. I brought in a container of Clorox Hospital grade bleach wipes rated to kill CDiff and box of disposable gloves. I cleaned the bathroom after I used it, and told my co-workers they were welcome to use my cleaning supplies if they were concerned.

No one got sick, and it was good practice for COVID 19!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 pm

Hi Karra. I am glad you are doing well.
One thing I would suggest is take it easy with your diet as far as veggies are concerned. Many of us have trouble digesting fiber after c diff especially raw veggies and fruits and we tend to stick to bland foods until your is gut is healed. If you seem to be doing well, as NanciT said, that’s fine, but since you just recently finished your meds you may find that now that you are off meds you have some problems with your BMs it could just be from the fiber or diet so just be aware. It’s not out of the ordinary for that to be the case after c diff.

Good luck,
Rita

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”