Meds & timing

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Basset
Brand New Poster

Moxifloxocan & Cdiff

Postby Basset » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:40 pm

I had Cdiff some years ago - took me almost a year to beat it. But now I am being prescribed Moxiflaxican for a cat bite & am very worried about a recurrance. It's s fluoroquinolone & I think there have been some implication with Cdiff in recent studies.

Does anyone know anything about this drug. I am 82, not the 50s that I was went I had Cdiff before & it's quite scary. I have not been prescribed one of the more common meds for this because of bad reactions over the years.

How might it compare with Augmentin. I was taking that when I developed Cdiff way back when. I think I would almost rather take one of those that I reacted to in the bast than deal with this one.

Really need some input here.

B

Basset
Brand New Poster

Meds & timing

Postby Basset » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 pm

I forget all this. What kind of schedule for probiotics & the med vis a vis food during the day (& late night). Where does dairy fit ini? I had hoped never to have to know this again, so please bear with me. (I was going to have a glass of red wine but no - the iron). So it's gone. Is it just iron & dairy that we worry about? If possible, please refer me to where I can catch up on all this?

B

healthys
Contributor

Re: Meds & timing

Postby healthys » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi Basset,

The moderators soon would respond to you. But in the meanwhile, please take your probiotics at least 3 hours away from any antibiotic. I hope you feel better real soon!!
Last edited by healthys on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Moxifloxocan & Cdiff

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:20 am

Hi Basset and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

I have not heard of that particular antibiotic, but the fluoroquinolones are some of the worst offenders. I got c difficile from Cipro and others as well. Clindamycin is also high on the list of offenders.

There is a list posted here that has listed low and high offending antibiotics, but you say you are allergic to many. Fluoroquinilones have black box warnings on them, at least Cipro does. I would discuss with your doctor to see if there is an alternative.

As far as probiotics go, try to take them in between doses of your antibiotic. If you take Florastor, which is a yeast product, that will not be killed by the antibiotic, but any of the bacteria strains will, so space them apart.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:22 am

Currently you do not have c.diff so you do not need to avoid hard to digest foods, check with your pharmacist about alcohol and the antibiotic your taking.
You say the antibiotic is for a cat bite.
Is it infected or has your Dr prescribed antibiotics "just in case"?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:47 pm

This medication is also known by the brand name of Avelox and is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. As you know it is a fluoroquinolone and like Augmentin that you asked about, both are high offenders for c diff ( see the CDI section of this site for information about antibiotics) Roy’s question is most relevant- is your scratch infected? Or is this prescribed as a precaution? If it’s a precaution you might want to have a discussion about necessity with your dr.
And in terms of diet, I am not sure why any recommendations were made to you since you don’t have c diff. If you can usually tolerate dairy keep on...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”