Antibiotics for Sinus infection/ post Cdiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Steve59
New User

Antibiotics for Sinus infection/ post Cdiff

Postby Steve59 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:49 pm

I’ve been CDiff free for 18 months and was just prescribed Doxycycline for a sinus infection. Any suggestions to help prevent a relapse?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotics for Sinus infection/ post Cdiff

Postby Ril » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Most sinus infections are viral not bacterial. Antibiotics do not work. Drs are very fast to order antibiotics regardless. My ENT works with me to avoid antibiotics. You can check the CDI section of this site under sinus infections for information and alternate interventions you might try, but we cannot give actual medical advise to countermand your dr’s orders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:23 am

I took doxycycline after I had c difficile and so did my mom and neither one of us relapsed. We took probiotics before, during and after treatment. My mom was on it for a month and she did not relapse. Everyone is different, and as Rita pointed out, most sinus infections are viral. But, doxycycline is a lower offender than other antibiotics.

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:53 am

Thank you Rita and Beth! I tried for three weeks to hold out on seeing my ENT. He’s well aware of my past bout with CDiff. But I started on Doxicyclene 2 days ago, so far, so good and hoping this all works out. Thank you again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Steve59,

Although prone to c diff, I took doxy several times for a sinus infection without a problem, I wish the same for you,

See the info on sinus infections. Do you do sinus irrigation? It is a big help in prevention. I had sinus surgery which was a big help,

Keep posting.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:39 pm

When I had to take an AB for a badly infected injury, I had the choice of bactrim or doxy. I took bactrim and had nothing more than total fear and a little stomach gurgling. I think sinus infections, after dental work is what brought most of us here. I was a once or twice a year antibiotic guy for sinus infections. Cdiff fixed that right up for me. I’ve waited a couple out the last couple of years along with using a neti pot and so far so good. Flonase works very well to open everything up so nothing gets trapped and infected.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”