Think COVID has caused a relapse after a year

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rundle
New User

Think COVID has caused a relapse after a year

Postby Rundle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:57 am

Was literally going to write my success story until I got covid on 27th Nov. Had it mild no fever or cough, just tired and aches. Fast forward to the 8th Dec feeling fine and recovered. but then lower abdomen starts burning with discomfort in kidneys and loud sounds in abdomen, getting worse as the days pass. Stools not WD yet but lots of M and very much a 5 on the Bristol chart. I take probiotics and saccharomyces boulardii have done constantly since infection Nov 2019. Drs turned me away until I get WD but the pain is giving me serious PTSD as it’s identical to previous infection. Found a couple of sites where people have commented on getting C-diff after covid but probably from taking antibiotics. Anyone else on here had issues from covid or relapsed from it. Very worried as it was hell recovering from it last year and tbh I’m scared.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Think COVID has caused a relapse after a year

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:35 am

All my covid patients had a really rough time with gut issues (really bad WD and lots of vomitting) during the first 7 days of the infection besides the respiratory symptoms , after that time frame most got better on their own , a few still needed iv fluids because the Hiroxicloroquine was still messing with their gut (in the hospital where i work we ran out of Azitro ages ago) and were also tested for Cdiff , parasites etc during their hospitalisation and everything came back normal. So ,i don't think that Covid itself triggered CDiff , i think that the Covid disease itself was just really bad.

Rundle
New User

Postby Rundle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks for the info Georgina, luckily I didn’t need any meds during my covid infection and didn’t have any GI issues in the first 10 days. I’m just hoping it’s a residual problem from covid and will clear shortly without a relapse. I just don’t see how my gut bacteria could be affected so much as to allow cdiff back after all this time. I’ve never stopped taking probiotics and kept my diet healthy, I haven’t even had a drink of alcohol in over a year :( fingers crossed it’ll pass but cdiff doesn’t half leave you with dread and fear of relapse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:12 am

I have read that for some people, symptoms of COVID can go on for a while and maybe the GI tract is still recovering from it. After c diff, if I even have a mild GI virus, it takes me a long, long time for the intestinal tract to settle down. I would consult with a GI if this persists. Maybe there is something you can take for the symptoms.

Rundle
New User

Postby Rundle » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:27 am

Hey Beth, yeah I’ve read a few stories on Reddit where people have been left with GI discomfort after covid infection. I’ll keep an eye on on it for now and see how it goes and contact my doc for advice if it persists. Its looking more like a covid issue as I’ve had 2 normal Stools since yesterday but still burning in gut and lots of wind ( I could keep a bouncy castle inflated with it). Hopefully I can finally write my success story once this passes. Thanks for the support and advice

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:26 am

I've been dealing with significant GI issues for 4 months now as a result of COVID. Initially I was certain I had c. diff again because the symptoms were nearly identical but I tested negative for c. diff and every other bacteria and parasite. COVID can do terrible damage to the GI tract. I'm no longer dealing with D, but I have C like I've never had before and I have B and M with every BM now. I recently had a colonoscopy and there was no visible inflammation or colitis and thankfully no cancer. They found 1 polyp and diagnosed me with hemorrhoids and told me to take Miralax for the C. I've talked to many doctors over the months and all of them say COVID causes many issues with inflammation all over the body and the medical community has no idea how to treat it at this point.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 am

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Covid has caused such miserable GI symptoms for you all. I feel like the GI impacts are under-reported... it's so rare that you see these symptoms reported in the news. But there should be more coverage given to this for sure. Especially where those symptoms can linger for months.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Rundle
New User

Postby Rundle » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Hey LHutz, sorry you’ve been going through this for so long, hopefully a full recovery is imminent for you. I’m praying mine will resolve ASAP. It’s so strange only this morning I had a normal formed Bm and then a few hours later WD and nothing since but the daily burning sensations in abdomen. This is nothing like the CDiff symptoms I had when previously infected so I’m talking that as a little positive if I can call it that lol.
NS789 thanks for you’re sympathy I agree more needs to be publicised about the after effects and damage to GI system , hell D isn’t even on the symptoms list here in Wales even though it’s a common symptom in the comments on patients experiences of covid.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:19 am

D and vomiting are on the symptoms lists that I have seen. I know two people who had both these symptoms and they were more predominant than their respiratory symptoms, although they did lose sense of taste and smell. My Gi mentioned it too. I have read that there is a test to detect Covid in stool, although I think they are just doing experiments with that - it isn't something that is used to diagnose for the public.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Here's something I came across; seems that they have found COVID in the gut for a long time after the infection began:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 3.367391v1

I also found this:

https://www.immuron.com.au/

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 pm

This makes sense. I’ve felt like absolute dog poo since yesterday. Rumbling gut and dizzy, almost feels like cdiff, but outside of silvadene for a minor toe surgery a month ago ive taken no antibiotics for months. My 14 yr old is back in school so maybe it’s just a stomach bug as I have no other covid symptoms. I did just lose my 68 yr old aunt to covid and pneumonia yesterday morning.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your aunt. I got my first dose of vaccine 6 days ago and it seems to have triggered my autoimmune condition. Am trying to decide whether to go for second dose in two weeks, but your aunt was only a couple of years older than I am. Will have to weight it more carefully. I hope you feel better soon. I had some GI problems a few weeks ago and went to test for Covid, and it was negative. Don't know where I could have picked something up, as I don't go anywhere really, but we do get take-out food.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 pm

So sorry to heart about your aunt!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”