Help please, c diff and covid! Not sure what to do

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Robert83
Brand New Poster

Help please, c diff and covid! Not sure what to do

Postby Robert83 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Hello, this is my first post here on the site, and I'm in a really rough spot. Back in November, I contracted C Diff due to taking the antibiotic clindamycin for a severe case of cellulitis to my leg, and I had already gone through a full 14 days of vancomycin, along with an over the counter probiotic. About two weeks later, I developed severe pain in my gut, feeling inflamed and light diarrhea. I ended up in the ER where they did bloodwork and found a normal white blood cell count, but the doc there said he was putting me back on vancomycin for 8 weeks, with two different doses. The first is 4 times a day, and the second is twice a day. Im nearly through the first dose as of now. Also, just earlier this tuesday I started to feel sick so I called into work and told them why. Of course, I went and took a covid test, and to my shock, it came back positive. With this happening, it's been extremely overwhelming and I'm quarantined for 10 days at the moment, and still scared about my case of c diff. I feel pain in my kidneys and in my abdomen still, and I dont know what else to do. I'm afraid of the vancomycin not working again, and I cant work and I have no money or sick pay time. I'm not really sure what my options are at this point, either than trying a more natural holistic approach to fighting the infection and with the covid it's making it hell to deal with. I'm desperate for any kind of answers, even though I know this is a very difficult scenario. Again, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, and sorry for any trouble due to my post.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Help please, c diff and covid! Not sure what to do

Postby NS789 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:01 am

My goodness! I'm so sorry you're going through this. Covid and C diff... That's a double whammy.

It sounds like you had a recurrence of C diff after your initial course of Vancomycin, which is unfortunately somewhat common. But the good news is that it sounds like your doctor has you on a long Vanco taper now which is a good plan. Vanco tapers are successful for a lot of people and I hope you're one of them. But if not, you might want to ask for Dificid next. It's a newer treatment for C diff and very effective.

Continue taking a probiotic. A lot of people find that Florastor (or a generic) works well. Also, go easy on your gut by sticking to a bland, gentle diet. It can be helpful to avoid dairy during this time as dairy is known to be irritating during C diff.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have sick days. This must be so difficult for you. Take whatever time that you can to rest. It sounds like your poor body needs it and it will be important for your recovery.

Hang in there and feel free to ask questions. We are here for you! We've all been through it before.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Hello Robert and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum on Rules for Posting for all new members.
I am really sorry you are suffering with c diff and with Covid at the same time which makes things especially difficult. It has been found that Covid can have GI symptoms so that must really confuse everything. Clindamycin has been notorious in causing c diff in many...it caused my c diff and is a prime offender.

If you had been treated by a GI in your first bout you should make sure you stay in contact with them now and continue to follow up. An ER dr will not be your contact once you are discharged from the ER and you should have a follow up dr. If not a GI you should be in contact with whoever your treating dr was, and if it were me, since you have had a recurrence, I would make an appointment and make sure I have a GI knowledgeable in c diff lined up for future treatment. You do not say that you have having multiple episodes of watery d so you may in fact be recovering.

Good luck and I hope you are on your way to recovery. It can take time.
Rita

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 pm

I've had c. diff and COVID. COVID has been far worse on my GI system than c. diff was. As far as COVID goes, the medical community is totally clueless. I've been dealing with COVID for 5 months now, with significant GI issues for 4 months. I've had just about every test available and nobody has any answers. I hope you feel better soon.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”