Dificid helped my IBS-D!?! Anyone else?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

Dificid helped my IBS-D!?! Anyone else?

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:57 am

Hi all! I'm 5 weeks post-Dificid for a 2nd occurrence of C.Diff and feeling good - strangely good. Prior to my first C. Diff episode in October 2019 I had worsening IBS-D (particularly bad in the 2 years prior; wondering if I had C. Diff in my system that whole time) . It was typical for me to need 3 imodiums daily, and after vancomycin for my 1st episode last year made things worse, I was forced to explore more potent IBS-D meds. I was a mess :(

After taking Dificid I have needed only 1 imodium pill the entire month (!) Without going into detail, I am now "going" like a normal person after the Dificid (once a day, often every other day), which has not been the case for years. Things "look" very normal too, which has also not been the case for years. So my question is, has anyone else (especially those with IBS-D) had this welcome effect after Dificid?

I've heard that Dificid can have a constipating effect just afterwards, but being a month out now I think it's safe to say that it seems to have helped my IBS-D (not that I am complaining, and am REALLY hoping that this aftereffect continues to last :) ) My GI doctor had no thoughts on this, just wanted to see if others have experienced the same...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dificid helped my IBS-D!?! Anyone else?

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi

I have not heard of DIficid helping with a pre existing condition( IBS D ) but happy to hear you are recovering well and not having any issues! That is fantastic!!

I have taken DIficid in 2014/15 ( a long taper dose) and did well with it but was left with IBS. Something I did not have before CDIFF.

Fast forward, I am 7 weeks out post DIficid taper after CDIFF again in Aug. Once again I have IBS post CDIFF. At 7 weeks I have good days and bad days, things are still all over the place. I also have bladder/pelvic floor issues which I had the first time but felt it was from the Vanco, I once again have that again but was not on Vanco this time, only a Dificid taper.

That has been my experience, happy to hear things are going well for you!

NanciT

Rev1119
Contributor

Re: Dificid helped my IBS-D!?! Anyone else?

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks Nanci! My IBS-D is much improved but I'm not 100% post-C Diff by any means; I do get nausea and a few days of gut pain if something "triggers" me (most recently, Fairlife fat free/lactose free milk (too processed) and homemade bread/muffins (too bulky) - both recommended by a GI dietician who I've already stopped working with)

I'm sorry to hear that the Dificid taper caused you IBS and bladder/pelvic floor issues (Vanco made my IBS-D much worse and gave me weird bladder urgency - it really does seem that different meds work differently on everyone). When my IBS was worse after Vanco last year, a low residue diet is what helped me the most. Hoping for your sake that these issues resolve over time and that you feel better soon!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”