Possible c diff recurrence after initial antibiotics for sepsis/bactermia with miscarriage

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
armak
New User

Possible c diff recurrence after initial antibiotics for sepsis/bactermia with miscarriage

Postby armak » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:46 am

Hi, my name is Adrienne. 27 yo female. Little background: I was around 12 weeks pregnant on September 16th when I started running high fever/rapid heart rate and went to ER. From there, I was admitted and treated for sepsis that resulted in a miscarriage and subsequently put on IV Cefazolin, 2mg 3x/day for 4 weeks (source was never confirmed and because of that infectious disease doctor put me on max dose of antibiotics). About around the last week of antibiotics, I started to develop diarrhea and ended up being diagnosed with c. Diff. I have completed a round of oral Vanco, 125mg 4x/day for 14 days. It’s been about 2 weeks since, and in that time my bowel movements have gotten increasingly worse again. For the past 2 days, I’ve had bloating, gas, abdominal tenderness/pain, diarrhea 3-10x/day with mucus and indigestion. I’ve also had hot flashes from the time I stopped the cefazolin, but unsure if that may be related to anxiety. I’ve also experienced a white furry tongue while on vanco, which cleared up but now seems to be coming back again. I called my infectious disease doctor, and he immediately prescribed a vanco taper without any additional test. I see my GI doctor in a couple of days and wondering if I should wait to start the vanco until I ask if I should be getting additional testing. I’ve since been doing an elimination diet for the last two days (mainly focusing on eliminating dairy, gluten, white starchy carbs and legumes), as well as been taking s. Boulardii and a digestive probiotic (mainly lacto strains). Trying to see if anyone has experience on whether or not they l should wait to consult with their GI doctor and get another test before starting the taper, to see if it’s possibly IBS related, which I’ve dealt with practically my whole life. This really just seems like c diff but I don’t want to start something if it’s just going to make it worse in the end. Also, if you think I should be focusing on anything else in the meantime while I figure out what to do next in terms of diet/probiotics, please let me know! Thank you guys so much. Reading everyone’s posts has been so encouraging and has started to give me peace of mind that I’ll eventually get this under control, even if it takes some time.
27y/o F. Contracted c diff 10/2020 after 4 weeks on high dose cefazolin. Untreated for 3 weeks. Started vanco 125mg/4x day for 14 days 11/2020. First recurrence 2 weeks after. Finished vanco taper Jan 2021.May 2021 - 4.5 months post taper

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible c diff recurrence after initial antibiotics for sepsis/bactermia with miscarriage

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 am

Hi armak and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

If it is only a couple of days before you see the GI and your symptoms are not severe, you may want to wait to see what the GI tells you. If you get worse symptoms, a fever, etc. then that is different. Sometimes your body can fight off c difficile on its own. Your GI might want you to take something different, like Dificid, which targets c diff without killing as much good flora. So, if you can wait, then that might be a good idea and you can discuss testing with the doctor.

armak
New User

Re: Possible c diff recurrence after initial antibiotics for sepsis/bactermia with miscarriage

Postby armak » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you beth22! Yes feel like my symptoms are pretty manageable (although frustrating lol). My anxiety has been through the roof so trying to refrain from lizard brain making my decisions for me haha. I think I’m going to wait it out until tomorrow. Thank you again, I appreciate your response! :)
27y/o F. Contracted c diff 10/2020 after 4 weeks on high dose cefazolin. Untreated for 3 weeks. Started vanco 125mg/4x day for 14 days 11/2020. First recurrence 2 weeks after. Finished vanco taper Jan 2021.May 2021 - 4.5 months post taper

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 am

Treatment for reoccurences is prescribed without previous testing ,it's only based on symptoms alone .Testing might not be accurate soon after completing the course of meds. If you have 3 abnormal stools per day and you do not feel ill you can delay the treatment and wait as you might get better on your own , but if you have you have frequent D you need to restart the treatment as it was prescribed . Seems like you found a knowledgeble infectious disease doctor that actually goes by the guidelines.

armak
New User

Postby armak » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Thank you Georgina! That sounds like sound advise and gives me more reassurance that I’m on the right track. I realize it’s most likely a reoccurrence and will need to start the treatment as soon as I get it. Thankfully I don’t feel ill but definitely have been having more than 3 a day. This is my third day so we will see but will start the treatment ASAP if it continues. Thank you :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Armak
U have suffered two disastrous events. - c diff and miscarriage. I emphasize with your physical and mental pain. (Also had both several times - but not together, thank God.)

Sounds as tho u are recovering. Glad the site is helpful. Keep posting. Prayers and good thoughts.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”