Tested positive for CDiff but mild symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
GooseRK
Brand New Poster

Tested positive for CDiff but mild symptoms

Postby GooseRK » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:44 am

Hi All - Came across this forum when doing research on cdiff.

I’m 29 years old, for what it’s worth, and about 3 weeks ago I basically sharted this white/yellowish substance, which turns out most likely was mucus. I didn’t even know that was possible. I made an appointment with my GI doc a week later, did a stool test, and it came back that I tested positive for cdiff. I don’t have any fever. No diarrhea, no dehydration. The only symptoms that I feel are constipation and a bloated stomach, however that is something I’ve been dealing with for the past 5 years.

I tested positive for SIBO too earlier this year, so I thought that that was the cause of what I’ve been dealing with, and was prescribed Rifaxanin and Flagyl. Those are the only antibiotics I’ve taken, and prior to that was in 2009, when I was heavily medicated, to treat typhoid. Ever since 2009 my stomach has not been the same, as mentioned earlier, was only dealing with bloating and constipation.

I also did a stool test in February, and I tested negative for cdiff. So I’m not sure if this is something I picked up within the last month. Or perhaps it was a false negative the first time around, and I’ve just been living with cdiff for the past 10 years.

My doc has currently put me on antibiotics, vancomycin 125mg for every 6 hours. I’m on day 3.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone tested positive for cdiff but not have the adverse symptoms of it.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tested positive for CDiff but mild symptoms

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 pm

There are a few types of tests; there is an Antigen test that can be positive even if you are not infected. You need to test for the actual Toxin in addition to checking for the C Diff bacteria and not just the bacteria. I tested negative on the 1st test but 5 weeks later I test positive. My GI Dr told me it is very common to have false-negative 1st time testing, but I don't know if it is true

See the table at the bottom of this page for more info on testing types

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... sting.html
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:12 am

You can test positive on a PCR test, but not have an active infection. That happened to me. With your symptoms, I am surprised that the doctor put you on antibiotics to treat. That also happened to me in the beginning and in hindsight I wish I had not treated, but I was given double your dose - 250mg 4 x per day and I think it was overkill. I also have SIBO, but I got it after c difficile. Hopefully, you will feel better on the vanco. Xifaxan also helps for c difficile and was used as a chaser to vanco in the past. You might ask your doctor about that. I had to take it after c diff for the SIBO.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:56 pm

A question for both Beth22 and GooseRK: when you say that you tested positive, do you mean positive for toxins or positive just for the presence of C diff in your system?
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:55 pm

PCR is a very sensitive test. You should find out whether you tested positive for c. diff toxins or just the presence of the c. diff bacteria.

Doctors are generally of the opinion that no treatment should be provided to somebody who tests positive for the presence of the c. diff bacteria but tests negative for toxins and lacks symptoms of active infection. C. diff bacteria is very common in the guts of healthy people and it only becomes a problem when it produces toxins and causes a colitis infection. As unbelievable as it sounds, the antibiotics used to treat a c. diff infection can actually cause a c. diff infection if they are taken when a person is not experiencing an active c. diff infection.
Last edited by LHutz on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 pm

The first time I had CDiff in October of 2019, I only experienced abdominal cramping and 2-3 mushy stools a day (although I was taking imodium for IBS-D as well during this time). I chalked it up to worsening IBS-D symptoms, but my GI doctor ordered extensive testing at a regular visit; I could not believe it when he called me one morning to say I had tested positive for C.Diff toxins. I was skeptical and asked for a retest, and that too was positive - I also wonder whether or not I had had C. Diff in my system for some time, as I had not been exposed to any hospitals/antibiotics within recent months of my positive tests. The second time I had C. Diff, however, (in October of this year) I did experience the typical adverse symptoms.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:25 pm

PCR picks up the c diff genetic material. I tested positive on that, but with the mild symptoms did not treat. Later, the hospital decided to start testing all positive PCR tests with an EIA test that would indicate the presence of toxins and active infection. Months later, when I tested again, I was still positive on PCR, but negatie on EIA. I stayed positive on PCR for over two years, but did not need to treat.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”