FMT 3 YEARS AGO...RELAPSE?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Liz88
Brand New Poster

FMT 3 YEARS AGO...RELAPSE?

Postby Liz88 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:43 am

Ok new member/poster here and long story short, I has a FMT in July 2017 after a 6 month battle with cdiff. I tried flagyl twice and vanco 14 days then a vanco taper twice! The Fmt was successful and I've been cdiff free since that time. I've had lingering effects of cdiff since diagnosis cramping pain, occasionally diarrhea if I eat the wrong foods, food intolerance). I've been tested for those effects and always been cdiff neg. I got cdiff from clindamycin one round of 10 days. Two days ago I went out to eat with my family. I felt completely fine zero GI symptoms about an hour after getting home I started to get horrible bowel cramping, gurgling just generally feeling really ill. This of course let to diarrhea. This was the worst diarrhea I've had since cdiff it lasted 2.5 hours lots of mucous and pink tinged blood. The next day nothing except terrible cramming again and then the following day I had a semi formed stool with a significant amount of blood and mucous. I of course called the Dr and I'm waiting on a stool sample as well as several other labs, but could this honestly be cdiff again?? I'm not going to lie i it feels exactly like it did the first time around I never had the real watery diarrhea I would still feel the urge to go all the time but would have tons of blood and mucous. I'm so scared!!! I have three kids all under six one being 10 months. I thought I could put cdiff behind me after three years!!

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: FMT 3 YEARS AGO...RELAPSE?

Postby NS789 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 am

Sorry to hear this. It certainly wouldn't be a relapse after 3 years though. If it is C diff, it would be a new infection. But you mention that you went out to eat, so perhaps it's a touch of food poisoning or the food just didn't agree with you. Hopefully in the coming days things will calm down a bit. It doesn't hurt to test though so you're doing the right thing. Wishing you well!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT 3 YEARS AGO...RELAPSE?

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi Liz8 and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

It is quite possible you have another bacteria, so I assume your doctor has ordered a regular stool culture too. I had campylobacter after c diff, from undercooked chicken and the symptoms were pretty much the same. Some other infections can give the B and M too. You might even have a GI virus. As NS789 said, it would not be a relapse at this point, but a new infection.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”