Overwhelmed w/ 1st relapse

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beccakb
New User

Overwhelmed w/ 1st relapse

Postby beccakb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 am

Hi all, I'm new and I can't tell you how grateful I am that I've found this forum. I had c diff when I was 5, and then got it again at the beginning of the month after taking Amoxicillin for one infection and then Clindamycin for another shortly after. I begged the urgent care doctor to not give my clindamycin (cause it caused pill esophagitis for me 2 years ago), but they said I'd be fine and now am even more upset that they did not listen. I also have IBS which I've come to learn through this forum is a very comorbid condition with c diff.

I am allergic to flagyl and so they started me on 125mg of vancomycin 4x a day for 10 days. I had significant relief of symptoms 24 hours in and finished the antibiotic a week ago. Thursday I began to have severe D, horrible fever, chills...the works. My stool test came back today positive and the urgent care doctor (due to insurance issues I was going to urgent care) prescribed another round of the same dosage of vancomycin.

After reading so much about c diff in the last 48 hours I'm now considering calling the urgent care doctor to ask if they can prescribe another dosage for the tapering/pulsing method I've seen that's common for relapses. I'm afraid this urgent care doctor doesn't know much about c diff and I'm going to get pushback and they won't prescribe. I'm trying to get into a GI doctor as soon as I can, but you know how that can go with 1st appointments.

Needless to say I'm just overwhelmed with seeing how pervasive and long lasting this can be. I'm a graduate student in a PhD program seeing clients for therapy and it's debilitating to have to keep cancelling meetings, appointments, etc. because of this. Not just because it's contagious, but because of how horrible my symptoms can be.

How do you cope with this? I'm scared about how much this is affecting my life and if I'll get it under control.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed w/ 1st relapse

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 am

Hi beccakb and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum. Good thing you did not take Flagyl - it is no longer recommened for c difficile. There is another medication called Dificid that many people have done well with. It kills less good flora and targets the c difficile more directly. I would definitely try and get an appointment with a GI or an ID doctor. Meanwhile, do you have a PCP that you can call? I think it would be better than an urgent care doctor who doesn't know you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:31 am

Hi

Sorry you had to find us. If you cannot get in with a GI right away, call back the Urgent Care MD and ask if you can start Dificid. Some do OK on 2nd course of Vanco, but since you did fail, I would ask for Dificid. The issue becomes it's very expensive. If insurance is an issue, Dificid has a site depending on income you may be able to get it from them

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

beccakb
New User

Postby beccakb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm

NanciT wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry you had to find us. If you cannot get in with a GI right away, call
> back the Urgent Care MD and ask if you can start Dificid. Some do OK on
> 2nd course of Vanco, but since you did fail, I would ask for Dificid. The
> issue becomes it's very expensive. If insurance is an issue, Dificid has a
> site depending on income you may be able to get it from them
>
> Hope you feel better soon
>
> NanciT

Hi NanciT,

Thanks for the feedback. Could you share that website? Might be a route I need to take.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”