GERD & Reflux treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mrowland06
Regular Contributor

GERD & Reflux treatment

Postby mrowland06 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello all! I had c-diff about 10 years ago. It was awful and I definitely don't ever want to repeat it! lol! I have been having an awful time with GERD or reflux. My GI doctor can't see me until December so I'm trying to fix it myself in the short term. When I had c-diff it was caused by an antibiotic but I was also on protonix for reflux and the hospital doctor thought that the protonix could have contributed to the c-diff, as well.

I've read lots of stuff about not taking PPI's and H2 blockers b/c of the risk of c-diff. I'd love some advice here....TUMS is not working for me and I need something b/c this is not fun :-( Does anyone safely take a reflux medicine without recurrence of c-diff? If so, what do you take? Thanks so much!

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: GERD & Reflux treatment

Postby NS789 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:30 pm

I hear you! I'm terrified to take acid reducing medication as well. Someone on this site recommended good old fashioned baking soda mixed in water and I've tried that a few times when I desperately needed relief. It worked pretty well! It may not be a long-term solution though.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I have tried so many things, it is very difficult. Right now things are worse due to the Dificid I took recently. I stopped my PPI when I had CDIFF the first time in 2014/15. My GI was against it but I pushed for it and went on an H2 Pepcid . I have done fine on Pepcid, it was IV antibiotics while in the hospital that caused my recent CDIFF.

I also take Manuka Honey at night which I find helps. Once in awhile I take Mylanta at night if it gets bad and that seems to help.

If it continues, make sure to speak with your GI, I ended up having an endoscopy last year and had esophagitis which can be dangerous if untreated.

Take Care

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:19 am

As far as i know H2 blockers and antiacid meds are not linked to Cdiff , just the PPI's .

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 am

My best advice is to work with your GI. I've had GERD for years and it's been pretty severe at times. My GI had me on a double dose of Prilosec before I got CDiff. My ID wanted me completely off of it, and I have had a terrible time controlling the reflux. I find Gaviscon works very well when I'm suffering from active reflux, but it was not a long term solution. It helped me to reduce my Prilosec to once a day, but I was not able to wean completely off of the Prilosec.

I went back to my GI, who also specializes in CDiff. He acknowledges the CDIff risk staying on a PPI, but wants me to stay on the single daily dose of Prilosec and use Gaviscon to help control it. He said weighing the risks in my particular case, it was the best solution. Further damage to my esophagus etc. was more of a concern than contracting CDiff again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”