Keflex after Cdiff and FMT

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Keflex after Cdiff and FMT

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi everyone! It’s been so long since I’ve been on here which I suppose is a good thing. I had recurring cdiff 3 years ago that ultimately ended in having an FMT after 4 months of misery. The FMT was my cure in the end although the recovery was a rough road afterward, it did cure me. I had very terrible post infectious IBS and am still very sensitive to dairy but otherwise, I have recovered well. I am here today because I am finally having to face my worst fear and that is having to take an antibiotic for the first time since then. Last night out of no where, I began to have some lower pelvic pain and it quickly worsened. I urinated and there was blood in my urine. I went to the ER and was told I have a UTI. They put me on Keflex 500 mg 4 times a day for 6 days. I know I have to be on it but I’m literally terrified of relapse. As soon as I began the antibiotic, I started taking florastor and bought some kefir as well. Now, it’s a waiting game. Anyone else able to boost my spirits here? I am wondering if anyone recurred after that amount of time? Does the FMT help to give me any further immunity since it repopulated my gut bacteria? Thanks for reply’s. Feeling worried over here.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Re: Keflex after Cdiff and FMT

Postby LHutz » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:28 pm

Unfortunately, Keflex is in a high offender for causing a c. diff. infection. Have you talked to your doctor about taking a different antibiotic that has a lower risk? I've read that for patients who are at a higher risk of c. diff, some doctors prescribe Difficid to prevent c. diff in addition to whatever antibiotic is being used to treat the underlying infection. You might want to talk to your doctor about that as well.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Keflex after Cdiff an

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:18 pm

MrsM25
I would ask for a culture to make sure Kflex is necessary. This might not be feasible, however. I am not in the medical field but feel,it is important to get another medical opinion. Can u call your primary doc and get advice?

Some can tolerate antibiotics after C diff. Some cannot. Often a c diff Med such as vancomycin is also given.

In the meantime, drink LOTS of water. Let us know what happens. Best of luck.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:24 pm

The culture and Sensitivites was most likely done in the ER, you can call for the report. I did take Keflex a few years ago and did NOT relapse.

Most recently I had to take it again and I did get CDIFF again. In my case, I am allergic to Sulfa and there were no options.

I would give them a call !

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Thanks all! I’m waiting for the culture to come back. It has not resulted yet. I spoke to my PCP and my GI today and neither one said anything about changing the medication and I think because of how bad my UTI was, they started me on something right away. I was sure to express all of my concerns over and over again to the ER doctor, my PCP and my GI and they all seem to agree that I need to take the keflex and take lots of probiotics to treat the UTI as it was necessary and the GI didn’t say he wanted to treat with Vanco or Dificid along side the Keflex. I’m just really down right now because I still feel cruddy with the UTI symptoms and now I’m terrified of a cdiff relapse on top of it.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm

NanciT wrote:
> The culture and Sensitivites was most likely done in the ER, you can call
> for the report. I did take Keflex a few years ago and did NOT relapse.
>
> Most recently I had to take it again and I did get CDIFF again. In my
> case, I am allergic to Sulfa and there were no options.
>
> I would give them a call !
>
> NanciT

NanciT

When you relapsed, how did they treat you? I’ve only ever had cdiff once and I was very sick. I’m curious about your recovery. Thanks!

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Treatment in the ER is not nearly as individualized as care you receive from your personal doctors who know your medical history. ER care is really set up to treat life or death situations. You should voice your concerns to your PCP and GI doctor and ask their thoughts about whether you should wait for the culture results before taking a high offender like Keflex and you can ask about alternative antibiotics that are not high c. diff offenders. You can also ask about taking Vanco or Difficid along with the Keflex. Ask about the pros and cons of this approach.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:59 pm

I had it in 2014/15 for a year. Started with Flagyl, failed, Vanco 10 days failed, Vanco 3 1/2 pulse taper failed. Onto Dificid 10 days failed, then a long taper of Dificid while waiting for my FMT appt. I never needed the FMT because the Dificid worked.

It was a long year recovery with Post IBS etc.

I was fine those 5 years but then had a UTI. As I mentioned I did fine, got through it with no CDIFF. That was 2019. This year I had another infection and was treated with Keflex but this time I did get CDIFF. Did great on Dificid taper.

Months later( 8/20) a kidney infection landed me in the hospital with IV antibiotics and it returned.

I am currently 5 weeks Post Dificid taper and doing well

Hang in there, we have had MANY posters who have to take antibiotics. You are doing all the right things, that is the best you can do. I will say I was VERY sick in 2014/15 with CDIFF. This time I worked through it. I lost 40 lbs last time.....................0 this time. I am not sure how, I eat very little but try to get my protein etc. I am on VSL3.

Take care of yourself.....this may just be a bump in the road

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 pm

LHutz- I totally get what you are saying. I did speak with my GI and my pcp today and they each agreed that I need to treat the UTI and that I need to take probiotics and no vanco or anything along with it. I have no choice but to do what is being recommended as I am very sick right now from the UTI. Fortunately I have everything lined up (cdiff test ordered and doctors prepared for possible treatment in the case I would develop symptoms). Of course it doesn’t make it any easier and I’m still terrified but I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

NanciT- it’s actually reassuring to hear that. I’m sorry for your experiences but I’m praying that in the case I WOULD relapse, I’m hoping it’s not as complicated and bad as it was the first time. My original case of cdiff was caused by multiple antibiotics in a 3 month stretch (like, 5!). So if I do relapse for some reason, I’m praying it’s not as severe. I’m so terrified. I go from moments and trying to be really brave and optimistic to terrified and bawling my eyes out in fear.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Culture came back and it shows keflex is a match but I’m not feeling any better so the doctor felt it’s best to switch me off and put me on Bactrim. Lower offender for cdiff and keflex doesn’t seem to be working anyway. Still loading up on probiotics. No D yet. Hopefully this works and I don’t have a relapse.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Bactrim is often successful in treating UTIs and as you know is a lower offender. Hopefully it will work. Stay on the Florastor, which I took when I had to have a dose of IV antibiotics during surgery, and keep taking it even after you are off the meds and hopefully you will be ok.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks Ril! I’m going to do just that and pray for the best.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Ask doc if bacteria susceptible to Macrobid if sulfa does not work - but it should. Macrobid often safe.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks Bobbie! My pcp has been so amazing. I had to switch my pcp since I was last sick because I work for the hospital network in my area so I can only go to the doctors who are in my network. The transition was tough because I had gone to the same pcp my whole life. I spoke to the on call doctor over the weekend and he was so kind. As soon as my culture came back we talked and we actually talked about macrobid however I recall getting very nauseous on it previously so we chose the Bactrim. Unfortunately I already took keflex for 2 days so I’m just praying for the best outcome. I won’t be on it any longer than I would’ve been with the keflex. I basically was just switched to the Bactrim and will finish on the same day. They already have a cdiff test on standby for me in case it’s needed. Good news is the Bactrim is working for the UTI!! No D at all so far, don’t want to jinx it. I do have some belly pain but I’m hoping it’s just from being on the antibiotic and all the probiotics I’m taking. Only time will tell. I was literally in tears for the past 2 days but I’ve come to terms with my possible outcome. It’s out of my hands. If I have a relapse, I just pray it’s not a complicated one like the first time. Fingers crossed.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am

Just an update so far. The doctor allowed me to stop taking the Bactrim on Tuesday. I haven’t had any watery diarrhea so far. I’ve had bouts of pain and gas. I’ve also had a couple of softer stools but nothing extremely alarming to note so far. I continue to take the florastor and I also got this ancient probiotics for gut restore at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section as well. I’ve been drinking kefir (which could be playing into some of my belly discomfort because after cdiff I now have a lactose intolerance) and kombucha. We have a local general store here that has kombucha from a local company on tap. It’s so good! No fever or loss of appetite so far. Just holding my breath and hoping for the best outcome. Of course the belly pain and softer stools always scare me but I am trying to live by the 3x3 rule and talk myself down when I anxiety gets high. Also, I am going to see the urologist today to hopefully find out if there is anything I can do for preventative measures with the UTI issues.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”