5 Months Post Treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
poppy86
Regular Contributor

5 Months Post Treatment

Postby poppy86 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi all, it's been 5 months and a few days since I finished my vanco taper. I still struggle with IBS symptoms, some days better than others. I have a lot of food sensitivities, so I try to be careful with what I eat and introduce new foods slowly. Some days I have 2 or 3 BMs and feel okay, but then I get a flare up and go 8 or 9 times. This morning I felt okay, then suddenly had some cramping and a sudden urge, with D, in the afternoon. My stomach still hurts now. Last night I ate a snack of yogurt and almonds, so maybe that was the culprit. Sometimes I eat a food and it's fine, but the next day it's not, there's no way to tell what it will do.

The anxiety is still there, so I'm trying to deal with that. I have Nortriptyline, which is a tricyclic antidepressant that is supposed to help with IBS, but I haven't started it yet. My weight is still very low, I lost 25 pounds since I was first diagnosed over 7 months ago. With all the food intolerances it's very hard to gain it back.

I feel weak and fatigued most of the time. Recovery has been rough.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 5 Months Post Treatment

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Sorry you are having a rough time Poppy.

Recovery can be different for so many. I also had a struggle but slowly found better days came more and more. This time( 5 years later) I am finding the same thing. I am 1 month out, and things are improving slowly.
This time I was not on multiple meds over a years time....and I find it a bit easier and less abdominal pain. In my case, a years worth a treatment wrecked my gut for awhile.
I still stick with a bland diet, go slow adding anything and sometimes even feel bad after a simple baked potato. There seems to be no reason for it. IBS continues.....I use Levsin on and off.

Give yourself the time, try the medication and see how it goes. It is a terribly frustrating illness.

Take care and I hope you find better days ahead

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 pm

IBS is a frustrating and sometimes debilitating illness. I am still struggling with it after many years and many medications but it is mostly controlled. Don’t give up. Try the nortryptyline. That is about the only med I haven’t taken. If that doesn’t help there are many others you can try so don’t despair. I have taken 5 or 6 and many have worked but I have switched to find the one that has worked best and is easiest and most convenient.

You will also learn trigger foods. Some will pass and some may stay with you for a long time. Avoid fibrous veggies!

Rita

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:51 am

Thank you for your replies and support NanciT and Ril. I had a very rough morning with the bathroom trips and hemorrhoids flaring up, I'm exhausted.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:40 pm

I would stay away from nuts, high fiber fruits, raw vegetables, salad (killer!), fried foods.
You may have developed a lactose intolerance, which is common after c diff. Limit your dairy or note if you have d after dairy.

As I said, there are many medications if this one doesn’t work.
Is it a GI you are seeing?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”