Negative Test, Do I trust it??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Footie97
New User

Negative Test, Do I trust it??

Postby Footie97 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:50 am

Hi there, 50 y/o male who got C Diff after multiple Abdominal Surgeries with IV antibiotics and being discharged on Cipro and Flagyl. After my 3rd abdominal surgery I tested + for C Diff. I have been tested and treated over the last 4 months with Vanco 500mg every 6 hours for 10 days, Vanco 250mg every 6 hours for 10 days, Dificid 200mg twice daily for 10 days and then was on a long taper of Vanco ( was to be 500mg every 6 hours for 3 weeks then 250 for 3 weeks and then 126mg until 1. I die, 2. symptoms resolve or 3. FMT is available). I was admitted to the hospital again for Pain, bloating, D. While in the hospital I was taking Vanco 500mg every 6 hours, IV Flagyl every 8 hours and Vanco rectal enema every 6 hours. I had a flexible Sigmoidoscopy and was tested for everything with stool taken during the procedure. I was negative for all toxins, spores, bugs, parasites etc.

I am not sure I trust the C diff toxin testing since I was on Meds IV, by mouth and by rectum. I am still taking Vanco 500mg 4x/day until I finish (2 more weeks). I see my GI next week and we will discuss where to go from here.

Anyone have experience with testing while on so many meds at the same time (especially the rectal Vanco enemas). Not sure what to believe at the moment.
Not sure whether I should consider FMT with a negative test???

Clint

roy
Administrator

Re: Negative Test, Do I trust it??

Postby roy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am

With all that vanco in you testing would be pointless.
Not sure why you were on that much vanco!
Tests detect the active infection, not spores.
C.diff causes ongoing illness if you relapse and nothing can predict that.
If your still having symptoms on that amount of meds the Dr should be looking at another reason for it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”