Why do I have a sweet taste in my mouth?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
twoscoop
New User

Why do I have a sweet taste in my mouth?

Postby twoscoop » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:06 am

Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well!
It's been about 20 days since my treatment of flagyl. I've been taking florastor but since I have been off medication I have a very sweet taste in my mouth. It feels like I've been sucking on candy all day. I eat a bland diet still, I drink a lot of water...I don't know what is causing this. Has anyone experienced this during recovery? Am I deficient on vitamins/nutrients? Or just my body being imbalanced from all the damage? Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Why do I have a sweet taste in my mouth?

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 am

It could be what you are eating. When I eat a very bland diet, I get strange tastes in my mouth too. You may not be getting a well rounded diet and it would probably not be a bad idea to check your vitamin levels as the D with c diff and altered diet can cause this. I had low vitamins A and D and others hae had iron, B12, etc.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you Beth! I will definitely get my levels checked out. I also wanted to get some advice on probiotics. I am currently taking florastor but wanted to add a bacteria probiotic. Can I take florastor alongside with another probiotic? Are there certain strains I should look for? I was looking into physicians choice, cultrelle, or genuine health. Thank you.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Flagyl is notorious for giving people a bad taste in their mouth. Anytime I've taken it, I've had that side effect. I can't recall how long the taste lasted, but I know it continued for at least a few days after finishing the pills.

I'm not saying that's for sure what's causing the taste in your mouth, but just wanted to share my experience.

You can definitely take another probiotic while taking Florastor. There are many out there and they work differently for everyone. You may have to try a few and see what works for you. My doctor recommended Bio-K and kefir, so that's what I've been using.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 pm

I have a question about kefir. I was told by my doctor to stay away from dairy, but kefir would be okay? Thank you

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm

If your doing ok with your current florastor why change anything?
If it's not broke dont try to fix it!

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:26 pm

You can get non-dairy kefir. The one I am using is coconut-based.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:46 pm

Kefir is supposedly lactose free. Most use the lifeway brand that you can get at the supermarket. Start slow though. One or two ounces and then work up or you can worsen GI symptoms like gas, bloating, cramping, etc.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”