C Diff that's barely responding to Vanco

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
adamvand
New User

C Diff that's barely responding to Vanco

Postby adamvand » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 am

So I was just diagnosed with my forth CDI in the span of two years. This one, I was prescribed a tapering round of Vancomycin (4x daily for one week, 2x daily for the next week, 1x daily for the next week, 1 every other day for a week) and my diarrhea did subside by the second day of treatment, but came back by the 7th day, right before I'm about to do on the 2x per day dosing. The previous CDI infections were treated with Vancomycin, with good results the first two times, and barely anything again with the third time. Has anyone else on here experienced vancomycin becoming less effective?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff that's barely responding to Vanco

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I experienced that with vanco. It's not that it is less effective. The first 5 or 6 days it helped my symptoms and then the stools got looser because it also kills good bacteria. When I added a probiotic, it helped some, but not entirely. I also can't take much in the way of probiotics because I get a lot of gas and bloating. The best for me was vanco twice a day with 250 mg tablets. But, when I had to take it 4x or 3x per day, I would get the looser stools.

sammi79
Contributor

Re: C Diff that's barely responding to Vanco

Postby sammi79 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:05 pm

I am down to my 2 times a day of 250mg on my taper and I am finally feeling like things are working. This is my 3rd round of Vanco since January and also had 1 failed round of Dificid.

It's a tough beast to fight. Best of luck to you!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”