How do you know if you are relapsing?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lime1114
New User

How do you know if you are relapsing?

Postby Lime1114 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Ive seen plenty of posts where people have numerous watery BMs per day but they chalk it up to IBS. Ive also seen the 3x3 rule as well but doesnt seem like everyone follows that. I guess I am just really confused how to know when to call my doc/be concerned vs just riding it out thinking its IBS.

lionne
New User

Re: How do you know if you are relapsing?

Postby lionne » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm

I had an initial bout of diarrhea and my doc ordered the stool test to check for c diff. Three months later, I have relapsed. Since I'd never been diagnosed with IBS before, I reported having the same diarrhea and did the stool test again to be sure it was c diff. What is the 3x3 rule?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:52 pm

From The CDI Forum

Many people (approximately l in 5) develop IBS after C. diff. The symptoms are similar to C. diff. - sending many to be retested time after time. C. diff. drastically irritates and inflames your GI tract. Don't expect things to return to "normal" immediately. IBS is not a definite diagnosis but a syndrome - a group of symptoms. Testing should not be done when you are On c diff meds or just off them. (See info in CDI under Diagnosis and Testing.)

The Three Day Rule: Don't be alarmed by mild symptoms unless you have three "bad" (watery, frequent) days in a row or if your symptoms become drastically worse. In this happens, call your doctor. Please remember, this is just a guideline to use when you panic after one or two bad days and think, "Oh, IT'S back." It doesn't always apply, but what does with C. diff. ? It's a variable and frustrating disease.

Many people have said this rule helped them during their bout with C. diff, and they are using the phrase on other C. diff. sites. It can be helpful in telling the difference between IBS and a C diff relapse. Remember, however, I "made up" the term during my first bout of C diff because it fit what I was going through. It IS NOT medical. If in doubt, call your doc. This is not a medical site but a support one.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:29 pm

I’m about 1.5 yrs out and can’t count on both hands and feet how many times I thought I was relapsing the first 6 months. I figured as long as I wasn’t experiencing the pure hell I went through initially, I’d take some pepto and see what happens. The further away you get from the infection, the less you look in the toilet. For me the disease was unmistakeable. Pounding heart, body aches, headache and fever. It seemed like the worst flu ever except I was using the commode 30-60 times a day.

lionne
New User

Postby lionne » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks about the three day rule idea. It's reassuring and makes sense.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Lionne,

Remember, it is not medical but a yardstick to help get u thru c diff.

Are the fires affecting you?

Be well.

lionne
New User

Postby lionne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:53 am

Yes I do understand it's not a medical suggestion about the three-day rule, but it does make sense to me to wait a bit when you think the infection is over with. When I went through the first attach of C diff the doc told me it was not unusual to have another one, but I learned it didn't make sense to test for it until there was a three-month interval from the end of the antibiotics. This time he said if I was still having loose stools when I came to the every other day part of taking the antibiotics, they might decide to extend them.

And sure the fires are very upsetting. Thankfully, I live in a zone that has not yet been targeted with a Level 1 prepare to evacuate. My daughter does live in such a zone nearby so that's worrisome. But it looks like things may be backing off there. This morning between the smoke and fog you can hardly see on my street. I'm in Portland and my daughter is in West Linn.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”