Miralax

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
daisy
Regular User

Miralax

Postby daisy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am

C Diff survivor here since 2015. Had my first diverticulitis flare at the end of July. I was treated with Cipro and Flagyl for 10 days. One month later I started having constipation. Dr prescribed Miralax. I took it Wednesday night and repeated yesterday morning. By noon I was having watery diarrhea. I am taking probiotics and having a bland diet. Light improvement this morning but still watery. Hoping it is the Miralax effect and it improves soon. Nervous about if it is C diff...

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Miralax

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Daisy,

To help prevent diverticulitis (I have diverticulosis) I take Benefiber twice a day. Check this out with your doc. Miralax is much stronger.

If this keeps up, call your doc. Best wishes.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Miramax is a strong laxative, I have even heard of it being used as a colonoscopy prep.
Not surprising it put you on the toilet.
Some people class missing a day or two as constipation and seek meds to " cure" it and that sets up a gut for D to C IBS.
Real constipation is needing to go but it feels like you have a coconut there that wont come out.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:59 am

Miralax is used for a colonoscopy prep, but you have to take the whole bottle - something like 10 or 14 doses. My husband did it for his prep. My mom took Miralax every day when she was in her 90s, but she was bedridden and more prone to C. I think the Benefiber is a good idea, or at least cut the dose of Miralax if you use it again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”