Floxin ear drops

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mmp
Regular User

Floxin ear drops

Postby Mmp » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:19 am

I have an outer ear infection and was prescribed floxin.
I know it is related to cipro so I am quite scared to take it. I have spent the past year building my gut back up and scared it will come back with ear drops (never thought that would be a fear- the thing non c differs don't have to worry about!) Has anyone gotten it from this? Or any words of encouragement?

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Floxin ear drops

Postby NS789 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:55 am

I can totally understand your fear, Mmp! I think we will all be terrified of antibiotics for life.

I don't have any experience with Floxin, but my guess is that since the drops are treating a localized area, very little (if any) of the medication is going to enter your system. So I doubt it will impact your gut. It seems pretty low risk to me.

Hang in there!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Yep I have taken post treatment and very close to treatment of c diff. I got c diff, the flu, and double ear infection. Nightmare. They put me on these ear drops because they wouldn't even think about oral antibiotic. I did research and very very very little is absorbed systemically. I would feel safe taking as I did take it. I took it for several weeks (ear wouldn't clear) and did not relapse. Just my own personal experience.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm

I have not used Floxin, but I have used other antibiotic ear drops and I had no issues.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:25 am

Same here , not Floxin but have used creams and drops that contain antibiotics and had no issues from them.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:23 am

Thank you all!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:03 pm

You are correct- Floxin is related to Cipro but I would not worry about ear drops.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”